Diving a few days after a Hurricane? too churned up? .... what distance effected?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Granny Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hurricane Isaac made land fall in NOLA on Wed. morning. How will that effect diving this weekend in Gulf Shores, Al. and the panhandle?

Would it be too churned up to dive a few days later?

Thanks

I usually wait about a week and check surf reports before diving. The whiskey will be a good one to do in a week or two but visibility still can be hit or miss. I'm planning on diving it sometime next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always have bad conditions a week later, sometimes longer than a week. Remember that inland flooding hundreds of miles away will simply flush crap into the rivers that will eventually find its way into the Gulf.

Best bet is to let someone else be the guinea pig. Watch for dive reports and call reputable boat captains and ask about conditions before getting wet yourself. :wink:

I'll be in Pcola this weekend and will be giving the jetties a shot. If Pickens is mucked up I'll try Destin, if that's hosed I may try St Andrews. Last resort, I'll drink beer on the beach a few days. Life could be worse!

It will probably be Friday before we can even get out to check. Been pretty stirred up, 17 ft seas or better, so likely will be murky. Let y'all know when we know.
Dr Dive

Aside from the Whiskey wreck, what other dives may benefit from this storm uncovering them a bit?

I heard they removed the debris. Mr X-ray dove the site often and could find no debris left.

Btw dove destin jetties today. Halocline at 10-15 feet from runoff then murky. Viz at box about 2'. Water at surface tannic. We did 80 minutes or so at ten foot just looking at fishes

Back
Top Bottom