Divetank closes its doors... what gives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow too bad. I got great service from Richard several years ago on my Bare Trilam.
I hope anyone left with issues ultimately gets them resolved. Too bad.

Wow, I'm glad I didn't pick up that D-9 a few months ago. Sure the price was decent sort of ($1200 for a display model) but it just begs the question as to what would have happened to me and my $1k dive computer.

Glad to find out. Now if ST would only start carrying Suunto...

I've bought a fair amount from Richard in the past and had great service and excellent prices. I'd bet the farm (if I had one to bet) that the amount of very satisfied customers would outweigh the few annoyed off ones by miles. Not many people go to the forums to give praise - it's human nature to bitch as loudly as possible when things don't go as planned.

"Wow, I'm glad I didn't pick up that D-9 a few months ago. Sure the price was decent sort of ($1200 for a display model) but it just begs the question as to what would have happened to me and my $1k dive computer." - Dude, you be diving a computer you got for a good price, just like I'm diving my Beuchat regs that I got for a steal as are many other people who got great deals.

I'll miss the hyper DiveTank-Dicky and hope he does well.

I've bought a fair amount from Richard in the past and had great service and excellent prices. I'd bet the farm (if I had one to bet) that the amount of very satisfied customers would outweigh the few annoyed off ones by miles. Not many people go to the forums to give praise - it's human nature to bitch as loudly as possible when things don't go as planned.

I would disagree. The posted praise in this forum for Scubatoys, Dive Sports, and others far outnumber the posted complaints, and nearly all of those rare complaints are addressed promptly and satisfactorily. Most public complaints are only made after numerous attempts to resolve the problems directly have failed. Perhaps you don't hear many complaints about places like Scubatoys is because they resolve the problem the first time you call them. It appears to me that many people got great deals from divetank but those that had problems ran into a concrete wall in getting them resolved, even after posting here.

The posted praise in this forum for Scubatoys, Dive Sports, and others far outnumber the posted complaints, and nearly all of those rare complaints are addressed promptly and satisfactorily. Most public complaints are only made after numerous attempts to resolve the problems directly have failed. Perhaps you don't hear many complaints about places like Scubatoys is because they resolve the problem the first time you call them. It appears to me that many people got great deals from divetank but those that had problems ran into a concrete wall in getting them resolved, even after posting here.

I've got to agree with Reefhound, you rarely see a complaint about Scubatoys, Dive Sports or many others and in the rare ocassion shops took care of the problem imediately.

Great, DiveTank still owes me about $1500.00 and nobody is anwswering phones or returing my emails. My experience with them over the last couple of months has almost turned me away from diving. (convinced the wife to let me get a ton of new gear, then DiveTank screws up and I'm left with no money and no gear)

Great, DiveTank still owes me abot $1500.00 and nobody is anwswering phones or returing my emails. My experience with them over the last couple of months has almost turned me away from diving. (convinced the wife to let me get a ton of new gear, then DiveTank screws up and I'm left with no money and no gear)

Maybe Scubatoys can get you an alternate way to contact Richard...

Just a thought...

I had a similar bad experience with Richard at Divetank after purchasing my Bare CD4 Pro drysuit over Christmas. Very poor customer service, and all the "extras" that were supposed to be packaged with my suit (hood, hose, undergarment) never came, despite a ton of calls and emails. I guess the lifetime of free service and seals that I was promised will never come to fruition. Oh well, at least after months of cursing Divetank I know that I'm not alone :shakehead:

The third best thing about ScubaToys is that they're a real shop you can drop in on. The second best thing about ScubaToys is that they have *excellent* customer service. But by far the *best* thing about ScubaToys is that if you're *really* upset with them, even after you drop in on them and chat with their customer service, they can direct you right over to GatSplat to take out your frustrations through guns and ammo.

(Okay, so it's paintball, and I don't personally like "painball" myself, but you have to admit, it would make a great flamewar-ending procedure. :D)

You are right. I've had nothing but good service from ST.

I'll do biz with them again.

I bought a signature series cf200 from Richard a few months back, and he was nothing but helpful when I bought it, actually it was a girl names Jewlz who went out of her way to help me. I am currently on my way to Vancouver and was hoping to hook up with them and do some diving. Dam my free seals for life is gone as well, that was one of the reasons why I bought it from them well that and they were about 800 cheaper then anyone else.

I tried calling Richard and like everyone else noticed divetank is down, so I did some research and it turns out his store front Vast Venture I believe is no longer in existence either. I was just under the impression that the online part closed not the whole store. I may be wrong but the phone number no longer works. I guess times must have been tough for him, which I m sorry to hear about.

I wish him good luck in the future and with his overseas opportunities whatever they may be,

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom