Divetank closes its doors... what gives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This leads into another question of "internet sales" of gear that is not authorized for internet sales.

For example. Dive Tank would sell Aqualung and Sunnto gear over the internet. They were an authorized AL dealer and I think that suunto allows online sales in Canada (but not the US).

So lets say we bought a Suunto computer from Dive Tank, Leisure Pro, Dolphin Scuba or any other "grey market dealer". It is often covered by the "store warranty" which is the same as the manufacturer warranty typically.

But what happens when the store goes out of business? (I'm guessing you're screwed huh?)

.....But what happens when the store goes out of business? (I'm guessing you're screwed huh?)

Yes, I feel like I've bent over and can't quite lift that bar of soap off of the shower floor!

These hassles are the reason that I am buying more and more from my LDS. It cost a "little" more, but you've got a face to talk to - not an e-mail or telephone.

Just so you guys can get it from the horses mouth... (so to speak), Richard flew in to Dallas and checked out our shop. Said he was going to be closing down... server problems, pricing issues dealing US vs Canada and some other business reasons. And he had some other opportunities overseas.

After visiting a few different potential stores, he said he was impressed with our customer service and vast inventory, and wanted us to take over all future divetank business.

We got the domain transfered into our name, and will be editing up the site to reflect this - but it's a lengthy process.

So from this point forward, we will just be using the domain name as a place to point folks into our site.

The question has been asked - will we take over other lines like Suunto, Aqualung, etc... and the answer is no. Until these companies change their way of doing business, we will not be carrying them.

So we wish Richard well with his new ventures - whatever they may be, and look forward to trying to service any of their past customers.

Yes, I feel like I've bent over and can't quite lift that bar of soap off of the shower floor!

These hassles are the reason that I am buying more and more from my LDS. It cost a "little" more, but you've got a face to talk to - not an e-mail or telephone.

Your LDS can go out of business also. We've averaged about one a year closing over the past 10 years within about an hour of my house.

of course most of them are authorized dealers for their gear. but doesn't mean that the other stores carry that gear though. For example, with one closure we lost our local Scubapro and Atomic dealer.

I can honestly say that after my experience w/ Divetank this does not come as a surprise. Absolutely horrible service, shady credit card activity, and NEVER doing what was promised. I feel bad if anyone there is losing a job, but I think this is a good thing for the other online retailers that run a good business.

will we take over other lines like Suunto, Aqualung, etc... and the answer is no. Until these companies change their way of doing business, we will not be carrying them.

They are blinded by their outdated business model as the world changes around them and leaves them behind.

The third best thing about ScubaToys is that they're a real shop you can drop in on. The second best thing about ScubaToys is that they have *excellent* customer service. But by far the *best* thing about ScubaToys is that if you're *really* upset with them, even after you drop in on them and chat with their customer service, they can direct you right over to GatSplat to take out your frustrations through guns and ammo.

(Okay, so it's paintball, and I don't personally like "painball" myself, but you have to admit, it would make a great flamewar-ending procedure. :D)

The question has been asked - will we take over other lines like Suunto, Aqualung, etc... and the answer is no. Until these companies change their way of doing business, we will not be carrying them.

And this is the beauty of the consolidation of LDS's into mega-online/brick&mortar sites. They will become powerful enough to demand changes with some of the manufacturers and thier methods. :)

Well.... this should be a sign for the industry and how our economy is operating.

Dive Tank was a decent sized shop that was well known, especially for AL/Sunnto products and drysuit sales.

For them to go out of business just shows the stress that the rest of the dive industry is under. When things like gas prices limit your every day expenses and limit your dive trips, it's also going to limit dive equipment sales.

I don't think theres a dive shop out there, on Scubaboard or other, that would deny that they are seeing an economic downturn at their cash register.

I agree for the most part.

However I really think it's times like this that dive shops like Scubatoys really thrive. One or 2 negative posts about a place such like divetank and word gets around more so than ever especially considering our pockets are tighter because of the economy.

Places such as Scubatoys, Divers Direct and Divers-Supply (bigger names) have a great reputation, great customer service, and excellent prices. Before I don't think people worried quite as much as they do now about these things. Not that anyone had money to throw away. However it's business. Those that walk the walk, and just don't talk it win out.

I know before I bought anything I did loads of research here and other places. Lucky for me my LDS is Divers-Supply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom