divers rescued at barracuda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ACR 2881 only weighs 4 oz, and there is a smaller brand available with pros & cons.
(...)
Why not have one in every car and on every diver...??

Maybe because the ACR 2881 is not waterproof ... ?

Just purchased two 6’ SMBs and spools yesterday, along with a 2nd generation Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS and a Dive Alert. Already have a first generation Nautilus Radio.

For us, PLBs and canisters are nowhere near as inexpensive as they are in the US, but they will be our next purchase nonetheless.

I doubt we’ll ever dive the likes of Barracuda reef but you never know when we might end up getting lost at sea.

Maybe because the ACR 2881 is not waterproof ... ?
I want some of whatever you're drinking/smoking. :confused:

WRONG!
It's waterproof and floats. Where did you get that incorrect idea? No, it won't survive scuba depths without the canister, but I discussed that.

Was this Miguel? I saw his post on his FB page about being “lost at sea” for about 2 hours off of Barracuda last Sunday, said that he was rescued by the Navy, so it fits. I bought Miguel lunch when I was grounded by the El Norte in Cozumel on January 18. Great guy, and, IMHO, an excellent DM.

Yes as far as I know. I've known him almost 30 yrs. Best DM in Cozumel, at least my favorite.

QUOTE="DjDiverDan, post: 8246621, member: 180468"]I bought Miguel lunch when I was grounded by the El Norte in Cozumel on January 18.[/QUOTE]

Hey! Now there's a pattern, we bought him dinner and drinks during el norte dec 2017! I'm gonna have to say something now!

I'd be interested to know if the 4 "American" divers were or were not with their DM and whether and when the DSMB was deployed.
So.....since my previous post, was this the DM and 3 divers who were lost by the boat at Barracuda? If yes, I would assume that at least the DM would have deployed an acceptable SMB for conditions somewhere near the end of the dive (safety stop at latest, likely earlier). I would still love to know the details.

My son and I dived Barracuda with 2 other divers and a DM we had dived with several times earlier in the week. The current was quite strong (I have over 800 drift dives in SE Florida and am reasonably familiar with current). One of the other 2 divers was unable to make the descent, returned to the surface, and was picked up by the boat. The four of us completed a relatively short, 53 minute dive. The DM sent up an SMB soon after starting the ascent, and we were picked up by our boat. I can pretty easily see how this dive could be a problem

What's so good to see there?
Barracuda is a beautiful reef, full of life and color. Because of the usually strong currents, the barrel sponges are distorted, as pinon pines on mountain tops are distorted by the winds. The first time I dived it, there was no current whatsoever. We could swim easily in any direction we wanted. The second time I dived it, the current was ripping diagonally across the reef, and it took significant effort to avoid getting blown off the reef. If the current is going like that, it is definitely not a site for beginners.

I have only dove it once. Our op gave everyone PLB,s to carry. Out of curiousity, not that cost should matter, when the Navy gets involved who pays the bill and how much is it? I realize length of search and vessels used would be a factor.

Good to know the boat captains asked for help quickly. Not everyone wants to admit they aren't in control. The quick response did it's job but I'm wondering why they didn't ask for an aircraft or heli's help in spotting them.

Armchair quarterback guessing here, but...

Aircraft are quite a bit more expensive to operate than boats. As long as the boat is not distant from the area to be searched, sending the boat is probably a reasonable first step. If the search isn't successfully concluded pretty quickly, you can always spin up the aircraft to join in, then you have multiple assets on site.

Back
Top Bottom