Divers Insurance...Yay or Nay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DAN is a must. Most emergency physicians are unfamiliar with hyperbaric medicine and DAN is capable of providing information and organizing emergency care. Even if you do everything right on a dive you can still receive "undeserved" DCI hits. If you dive enough you will absolutely need it at one point or another. Furthermore, DCI is very difficult to diagnose. There aren't any tests that you can take to determine if you are suffering from it, and the symptoms can look like many other things. Basically, if you develop any symptoms remotely close to DCI after diving it has to be a possible diagnosis, even if it isn't actually DCI. DAN also provides travel insurance and will cover equipment issues as well. It's a no-brainer to me.

As one of my mentors has said, "Diving without DAN insurance is like skydiving without a parachute."

Yes!

As one of my mentors has said, "Diving without DAN insurance is like skydiving without a parachute."

Sorry. Just had to...

I dove 30+ years without it - I bought DAN insurance after my son learned to dive. Now my wife and daughter have learned and I am covering them. I have never used the insurance.

Do you need it - no. You don't need home insurance if you don't have a mortgage either. Both carry risks.

How deep and how often are you diving? You need to decide - how comfortable are you underwater?

There are stories on both sides why you need it and don't... Have it and don't need it may be better than don't have it and need it...
YMMV

... dup message

For the cost, it was a no brainer for us. We currently have their master plan. I have heard too many horror stories.

I have been insured by DAN since 1986, have not yet had to use it, but would not consider going without it. As far as I can see, there is literally no down side to having DAN insurance. During the 30 years that I’ve been providing dive instruction, I’ve encouraged every single one of my students to enroll in the DAN program. Just get it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom