Divers Diary questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JJHACK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is there anything in writing that can explain a few things, or provide icon definitions? Like a red triangle on a line that would be ascending? I assume that means greater than 30ft/second? I cannot find an index of symbols anyplace?

I think it depends on where you are seeing this. I'm assuming it is in the desktop software for your dive logs or maybe it is on the dive computer. There is no definitive standard for what people use as standards. North American convention is red for danger and yellow for warning. So a red symbol means you did something the computer REALLY was not happy with. On some computers this is just a stern warning. On others it means the computer locked you out for 24 hours.

Some people advocate 30ft/second. Some say 60ft/second until you reach 30 feet. Then it switches to 30ft/second. You'd have to consult the dive computer manual to see what they advocate. Realistically, when buying a computer, I know what conventions I like to follow (12 hours before flight or 24 hours before flight? 30ft/second or 60ft/second? 1.4 to 1.6 ppo2 when diving Nitrox?) and I like to see a computer which follows the same conventions or can be programmed to follow my conventions.

Bottom line, where ever you are seeing the icons, that software should have an associated manual that explains the icons.

Darrell

Divers diary is not OEM software it's a genetic program app

So no computer explanation of the icons exists that I can find. Mares uses this program but I don't see a list of icons or instructions in anything from mares that I have or can find on line.

I believe your assumption about the red triangle is correct and that is how I view it. Though it doesn't concern me because my Mares Icon is sensitive enough that simply raising my arm will trigger a > 30 fps alert. If this is a common occurrence that bothers you, you may be able to simply turn off the audible alarm (depending on your computer), but it will still log it as an ascent event in the software.

My biggest concern would be, is the algorithm punishing us for these actions. I assume it does, but we don't know.

Divers diary is not OEM software it's a genetic program app

So no computer explanation of the icons exists that I can find. Mares uses this program but I don't see a list of icons or instructions in anything from mares that I have or can find on line.

Sorry, I misunderstood. Have a look at DiveDiary. There is a link for User Guide at the bottom of the page.

I think it's fairly common, yes. Subsurface shows yellow triangles with exclamation marks inside. These are "momentary" violations that should not result in a penalty, but with most computers we'll never know, as @CuzzA says.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom