Divers clean up Boca Grande Pass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems like boaters licenses are needed for this area. It's unfortunate, a lot of boaters are really decent, it's a shame that a few idiots cast such a dim light. The guys we were with, for instance, run charters. They lost two days' charters to be there.

Colin, did you hear anything about when the next one is? It was my understanding that there was going to be another later in the year, but I didn't hear anything this week.

Fgrey, I seriously doubt they'd consider marking off an area of the pass for anything. Any politician wanting to stay in office another day would fight it tooth and nails.

I'm just starting to really talk with and work with these folks.. when I know something it'll be posted up! :)

In regards to boating licenses, thats something I've been talking about for some time.. there are a number of posts by me on this board that really drive the reasoning home. I've talked with the law enformcement agencies (called each offices local branch and some state branches in Tallahassee) and they are all in agreement, however, our state senate and state congress have an issue instituting it. One made a comment that one of these state sentators had an investment in the boating industry and he believe's that by instituting a madated license that his investment will defunct. I think it'll do the oppoiste myself. It'll solve the congested waterways problem, it'll place an accountability on the boaters, and it'll promote some sort of responsibility and uniform education about boating safety, rules, and regulations of the water way. It's amazing how people react when they have to be responsible for their actions vs how we see them running around out there on the water.

fgray1:
You let me know when and where.
Fred
Man, Fred - you have me confused (that doesn't take much though). I've often appreciated your comments and quoted them at times. Then a few days ago I was shocked by your strong anti-environmentalist views. Then I see this post where you are planning to help clean up a site. What's next? Are you going to be signing up for a trip to Iceland if they give up whaling???

Zippsy:
Man, Fred - you have me confused (that doesn't take much though). I've often appreciated your comments and quoted them at times. Then a few days ago I was shocked by your strong anti-environmentalist views. Then I see this post where you are planning to help clean up a site. What's next? Are you going to be signing up for a trip to Iceland if they give up whaling???
The girl with the whale was trying to shove Green Peace down our throats. If you had read her PM's to me you would have been shocked. Her attitude and true reason for the thread came though as the thread grew. I didn't like all the green peace spam she was putting out there. She was speading the same crap on other boards and trying to get people to join her own board that she runs. The thread is gone now so you can't reread my responses. Anyway I don't beleive I have the right to interfer with another countries culture or life style just because I don't agree with what they're doing. I care more about people and quality of life than a well regulated industry that our country chooses not to participate in. Besides it's more a politcal issue than an enviormental one and it don'nt belong on the scuba board.
Kinda takes the fun out of coming here.
Fred

Here's some information on the cleanup job, the numbers and participating agencies as posted by Bob Wasno (organizer of the event)

Total amount of debris: 7,005 pounds!!!
Total number of divers: Day 1- 47, Day 2- 39
Total number of boats and crew/ captains- 27
Total number of participants including shore assistance- 98 Total number of injuries: 0!!!! Always the most impressive stat! \

GREAT JOB EVERYONE!!!

Associations/ Agencies involved in the Clean-Up:
Florida Guides Association
Boca Grande Guides Association
Lee County Guides Association
Charlotte Marine Research Team divers
Millers Marina, Boca Grande
Fantasea SCUBA
Sun Harvest Citrus
Publix of SW Florida
Waste Management, Inc.
Keep Lee County Beautiful, Inc.
Mote Marine Laboratory
Charlotte Harbor National Estuary Program
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
FFWCC- Commissioners Dick Corbett and David Meehan
FFWCC Marine Unit- Capt Denis Grealish and staff
FFWCC- Marine Research Institute
FFWCC- Protected Species
Florida Department of Environmental Protection
Lee County Sheriff's Office- Capt Taylor and Marine Unit
Lee County Emergency Management Services- Big Thanx!
Florida Sea Grant Program
South Florida Water Management District
South West Florida Water Management District
City of Sanibel, Division of Natural Resources
Sanibel Police Dept- Marine Unit- Big Thanx!
University of Florida- Department of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences Florida Environmental Research Institute Manatee County Sea Grant Advisory Committee

All of you did a great service to the diving community. Maybe next year I'll be able to get off work and join you. I'm really out of sorts that the Charlotte County Sheriff's Marine Unit and or dive team did not participate. I'll have to work on that for next year.

Wildbill:cop_2:

I've made it clear to the FL Sea Grant that I would like to participate via volunteer time in helping. Between ScubaBoard and Spearboard, a number of divers have expressed interest in volunteering for this and any other efforts of this nature which may arise. I'm collecting pictures from the event now and will put up a page with the picuters on it so people can see just what we sent to the surface!

side note: I wish I had a Mask Cam or something so I could show just how incredible the structure and ledges were down there.... Between typically low vis, currents, and the fact its a shipping lane, there are few divers who have seen just how beautiful the under water portion of that pass really is!

If there is enough advance notice of the next cleanup, I would love to go down to visit my in-laws (ulterior motive... dive!).

Great job, guys!!!

I spent X-mas on Boca Grande and learned about and saw the channel for the first time and learned about the Tarpon fishing there. I remember sitting on the beach at the lighthouse on Gasparilla Island and thinking about what it would be like to dive out in that channel.

Colin,
Thanks for the info about what diving there is like. I'm diving vicariously thru you and the other diver's posts here! If I lived there, I'd have been there. Sounds like my kind of diving.

Colin

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom