Divers bent at Pleasant today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I understand, they left 4 bottles on the bottom, not 2.

As for the dry suit, he was probably overweighted to begin with and hadn't purged the air from his suit after putting it on. The biggest pressure change occurs in the first 34'. After that, there may be more squeeze, but if he had enough air to get past 34' then I could see him getting down to 150'.

As for the divecon rating... you obviously haven't been through divecon/divemaster training. The divecon/divemaster course doesn't teach you common sense. And book knowledge is just that. Experience is what counts. These guys obviously don't have what counts.

Does anyone know what type of regulators they had on their bottles? :D

I'd love to hear the resoning used when leaving 1/2 your available gas on the bottom, on a dive that's already gone to ****. FAS

A Polaris missile travels faster when it isn't carrying extra junk.

Nope, they were the hexagon shaped deep air regulators that have built in narcosis absorption filters in them. :D

No wonder they left them on the bottom.

This is just waaay too funny, 2 idiots without a clue trying their best to kill themselves, and can't even do that right. If he couldn't figure out his drysuit hose was a problem in the first 20', and STOP and fix it, he doesn't know what he's doing in a drysuit. To the poster that thought you need a light to fix the problem, you don't belong in a drysuit either, if I couldn't find my hose and hook it up under water without any help, I'd go back up and start over. Rob, I'm with you, keep the tanks, you'll be saving their life. Kangy, you're either waay too mellow, or trying to get customers, these guys don't deserve any help. (this is a tech diver response, but death is very real)
Rob, let me know when you're in town, I'll buy.

Ooooh, you're such a tough, impressive tech guy. Kangy is not mellow, but reasonable, and I don't think it's appropriate to scold him for that. I bet you have real big truck, too.

Ooooh, you're such a tough, impressive tech guy. Kangy is not mellow, but reasonable, and I don't think it's appropriate to scold him for that. I bet you have real big truck, too.

Yep, I do have a big truck (well maybe it's just medium) AND I have a big van, makes it really nice when hauling 4-5 sets of tec gear to Californa for my friends and I. Actually not that tough though, just old enough and wise enough to recognize when some one is doing a dive beyond their skill level and really doesn't have a clue, I think they were from Tucson also, hmmm.
Actually I think Kangy is a nice guy, and probably pretty reasonable, I just don't think he's seen enough people doing really stupid stuff (as in dead), that his tollerance is still too high. (mellow) Could be I'm just old and cranky too.

One of the divers FORGOT to hook up his drysuit hose (No pre dive check???). Was getting squeezed by almost 6 atmospheres of pressure. Obviously it is dark, nasty and cold in Pleasant at 150', so he probably had a touch of Narcosis. In complete discomfort (no relief) and Narced, the diver, for some reason, added air to his BC. Additionally, both divers dropped their slung tanks; they are sitting at 160'. Now the drysuit diver is ascending uncontrolled.

I don't understand why he or his buddy didn't just plug the hose into the drysuit once they realized it wasn't connected?

Perhaps I'm missing something since I've never had this problem at 150', but I have jumped in the water several times with the drysuit hose disconnected, and it always became very apparent very quickly and was easy to fix. And the guy presumably had enough mobility to inflate his BC (unless he swam up??), so that's enough mobility to point to/ point out his inlet valve situation to his buddy, that is if he couldn't find the hose himself...

The account linked to by Charles R (post #17) said "the victim's regulator malfunctioned." Could that have been it? (no air -> panic...)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom