Divers bent at Pleasant today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, so far what we know from the news is they were somewhere between the surface and the bottom....and something went wrong. And I'm Ron Burgundy!

Here is the scoop from a very very very reliable source.
I promised the source I would not divulge their name so don't ask.This is about the two divers “bent” at pleasant.
I think it should be posted, because we all need to learn from accidents.

Two divers out at Lake Pleasant. Diving as a buddy team to 150'. They were in 160' of water, 10' from the bottom. They are Dive Cons (SSIs version of a DM) out of Tucson. Both were wearing 80 cu ft tanks on their back and slinging 80 cu ft Nitrox (32%) at their side. Not sure if it was one or two tanks they were slinging each.

One of the divers FORGOT to hook up his drysuit hose (No pre dive check???). Was getting squeezed by almost 6 atmospheres of pressure. Obviously it is dark, nasty and cold in Pleasant at 150', so he probably had a touch of Narcosis. In complete discomfort (no relief) and Narced, the diver, for some reason, added air to his BC. Additionally, both divers dropped their slung tanks; they are sitting at 160'. Now the drysuit diver is ascending uncontrolled.

At the surface, the diver with the drysuit problem needed CPR. His buddy flagged down a boat. The drysuit problem diver was sent to Scottsdale Osborn, but was not bent. The other was released at the scene. Very glad they did not have long lasting or fatal injuries.

“HERE'S THE ?????? PART” They are going to attempt to retrieve the tanks and regs they dropped next weekend!?!?!?!?!?!??

Last edited:
Holy crap!!! It's very sad, but it's funny! Get the numbers from your source. I'll be there next month and I can get those bottles. Oh, but I'm not giving them back...

I hope it's not two of the tucson divers that I know, it sounds awfully close. If any one knows apx where the tanks were dropped I'll go down (properly) and bring them up then get them back to their owners. No need to post anything on here just shoot me a PM/Call. Or give me a call/PM if you can do the dive (safely) and would like to assist.

Also if the diver that got bent reads this send me a PM or give me a call (especially if I know who you are). And I'll give you a hand retrieving the bottles. Don't go back out there and get yourself killed.

I'd rather be bent than need CPR...

Thanks for the scoop Ed! I've been waiting to see more of the details of this incident for days. I'm amazed that more of the news agencies around here didn't do more to cover the story, when we can talk about if it’s going to rain or not for hrs. on the 5 o'clock news. But the bottom line is, I'm glad that neither one of them where seriously hurt.

Here is the scoop from a very very very reliable source.
I promised the source I would not divulge their name so don't ask.This is about the two divers “bent” at pleasant.
I think it should be posted, because we all need to learn from accidents.

Two divers out at Lake Pleasant. Diving as a buddy team to 150'. They were in 160' of water, 10' from the bottom. They are Dive Cons (SSIs version of a DM) out of Tucson. Both were wearing 80 cu ft tanks on their back and slinging 80 cu ft Nitrox (32%) at their side. Not sure if it was one or two tanks they were slinging each.

One of the divers FORGOT to hook up his drysuit hose (No pre dive check???). Was getting squeezed by almost 6 atmospheres of pressure. Obviously it is dark, nasty and cold in Pleasant at 150', so he probably had a touch of Narcosis. In complete discomfort (no relief) and Narced, the diver, for some reason, added air to his BC. Additionally, both divers dropped their slung tanks; they are sitting at 160'. Now the drysuit diver is ascending uncontrolled.

At the surface, the diver with the drysuit problem needed CPR. His buddy flagged down a boat. The drysuit problem diver was sent to Scottsdale Osborn, but was not bent. The other was released at the scene. Very glad they did not have long lasting or fatal injuries.

“HERE'S THE ?????? PART” They are going to attempt to retrieve the tanks and regs they dropped next weekend!?!?!?!?!?!??

Holy cow! The above should be posted at every dive shop in town. I don't know from drysuits (yet) but I wonder why they had only one AL80 with air and why they even had nitrox at that depth. Were they going to use it during their safety stops (the ones at less than 90')? Didn't have lights at that depth to fix said problem with the drysuit hose? Did they really plan to go that deep in the first place?

I hope that they get somebody else to retrieve their equipment.

Steve.

Last edited:
I'm glad they're alive and well. I truly hope the explanation for the situation is that something went horribly wrong and resulted in an unexpected drop to that depth, rather than an intentionally poor plan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom