Divers and Motorbike riders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shadow 600 VLX.
bikeatnewhouse.jpg

nice bikes, guys

lord1234, i love that Suzuki (I have a 2005 Triumph Bonneville)

RaginCajun:
1999 Bmw R1100rt

OOOH!!! :god:

I've wanted one for some time now, but they're just way too expensive for my budget. I even looked into getting the ex-police RTP's, but even those are pretty dear for my wallet, with banged up examples going for no less than $6k in my area (and that's with salvage titles) and halfway decent ones going for a minimum of $8k.

Last year, I got back into motorcycling after a considerable absence. I originally bought an ex-police Kawasaki 1000 from a guy at work who used it as his practice bike before entering LAPD's Motor School (it has a very high washout rate). I wasn't planning to buy such a bike, but he was selling it real cheap as he was getting his department-issued bike soon and wouldn't have the room for both. At first it was fun riding it, especially to see people coming up to you real fast and suddenly slamming on the brakes!! But I quickly tired of its top-heaviness and clumsy handling. Thus, it remained in my garage unridden for a few months until another guy at work (who was going to attend the same school) was looking for a practice bike and approached me about buying it. I wasn't originally planning on selling it, but since he was willing to buy it for what I paid for it plus any money I put into it, I decided to let it go.

With the money, I just picked up a '91 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours on eBay for a ridiculously cheap price. Even though Kawasaki says both bikes weigh about the same, going from a Police 1000 to a Concours is like going from a large SUV to a Porsche.

SeanQ:
I was just quoted $1600 a year to insure a 15 year old, 500cc bike worth $2000. That's with a 15% discount for safe driving history. :28:

WHAT?! That's more than I pay for a year's insurance on a 2003 Nissan, living in LA with all of our bad drivers and high-auto theft rate.

I don't know what insurance is like in the Great White North, but I'm only paying $600 a year to insure through GEICO. That's full coverage, 100k/300k limits, 6,000 miles a year. If I dropped the comprehensive/collision part it would be considerably cheaper.

I ride a 2002 Harley Davidson Sportster and play in the dirt on my 1984 Yamaha YZ125

Lots of great bikes around here:D
I sold my last bike a year ago. It was a 1955 Harley FL "Bobber". Hand shift, rigid frame. Great bike! I sold it to help pay for my other passion, a 1965 Mustang. Besides my kids are getting older and they wanted to cruise around with me and I just wouldn't strap them to the back of that old bike.
570535_19_full.jpg

Dave

OK, not exactly, but in high school and university, I rode a little bitty 150 cc Vespa scooter. I still have it, but it hasn't run in years. It's OK to laugh at me, lots of people do when I tell them. I thought I was pretty darn cool though. :D

Vespas are exceedingly cool, and they're making a comeback

you have a very valuable cycle on your hands!

but if it were me, i'd get it brought up to speed and go out riding it! people will drool with envy

I still think it looks beautiful, but everyone here seems to have big boys' bikes so I thought I'd get a snicker.

It's been sitting for so long, I think it would take a pretty major overhaul. But I do think about getting it fixed up from time to time.

I kept one boyfriend around for a while because he was the only person who could keep it running. Unfortunately for my Vespa, he's long gone! :shakehead

Back
Top Bottom