• Yes, I have a Master's level degree

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Yes, I have a Doctorate

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Yes, I have an Associate degree

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Sort of inspired by the "are you a doc" thread, and sort of inspired by a conversation I had with an instructor who commented that she was the only one in her place of work who had a degree, I thought it might be interesting to poll SB members as to how far they managed to keep wasting money drinking beer before they finally left college and got a real job.

I know these polls get slanted quickly (because people with advanced degrees love to answer them, those who never went to college not so much), but thought it might still be interesting.

Say I am almost done with a bachelors or not yet complete and working on a masters/PhD while in undergrad...would I be categorized as without a degree or should I just use my discretion?

You forgot Associates

I like your sarcastic
how far they managed to keep wasting money drinking beer before they finally left college and got a real job.
:D

I agree that you missed Associates in Science/Arts. That is where I started and the major is Marine Technology (Treanslation: Commercial Diving). Santa Barbara City College use to have a two industry program where you either went commercial diver for teh offshore oil industry, or they had a recreational instruction/vacation industry oriented course of study that was really good.

Now why I disagree with the "drunken scholar" statement: Some folks, like me, started the post high school/ or post Jr. college education later in life, usually while working. Screwing around on the college campus while there were structural steel welds to be inspected and ships hulls to be repared, was not really an option. Plus Mommy and Daddy were not paying the bills. I spent a lot of hard work, long hours and gave up a lot of oportunities for inebrated fun during those years and I am very proud of my accomplishment today. I think the particular studies have enhanced my overall understanding of diving and provided a good base of knowldge as well as spurred my intrest to continue learning more about diving using many different systems, techniques and means.

Next step rebreather diver. Do I need a college degree in Mechanical Engineering and Hyperbarric Medicine to accomplish that, no, but it is nice to understand teh science behind the equipment and the capabilities. :eyebrow:

Say I am almost done with a bachelors or not yet complete and working on a masters/PhD while in undergrad...would I be categorized as without a degree or should I just use my discretion?

is that like I almost made it to the surface before I ran out of air?

:D

almost only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and nuclear weapons.

Well.... actually, these things are black and white. Either you have the paper or you don't. So no. Factually, you don't have a degree. If you want one you have to finish it. (this is like being told to eat your veggies, eh?) LOL

People with high levels of education have exactly one thing in common. Access ... OK, two things. Access and sufficient motivation.

And as for beer. I couldn't afford to party much at University. I didn't have a lot of time or money to "waste" on getting "wasted" and at the time I needed all my brain cells intact. When we *did* party though.... Doozies! :)

R..

You forgot Associates

Sorry - I went to University in the UK where they don't really have Associates degrees so I just overlooked it. Maybe some kindly mod can amend the poll?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

added Associates to the poll

Just to clarify my situation, I am done with 2 BS (Applied Econ and Poli Sci) but chose not to graduate so that I could take some grad courses with the remaining scholarship money. I guess adding an 'in college' option would work...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom