Diverite Venture or travel wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought of another thing: re the OPs comment about back plates not being ideal for single tanks... I am wondering if this is because some bps need a sta before they can accomidate a single, but others don't? This is something I don't know the answer too but I am pretty sure at least some back plates can have a single tank directly mounted without an sta. I could be talking out of my butt here, I've never used a bp/w setup. If so, sorry!

noobascooba:
I am starting to wish I went with bp/w because even though the transpac is more padded, comfort is only really an issue out of the water since the weight of the rig is supported in the water.

More padding does not make a more comfortable BC. I prefer the bp/w out of the water as well. More padding = more give for tank "swing" when walking. As I've said, even in a .5mm wetsuit (even in a tshirt) the BP/w is comfortable. Course, I've long ago learned that even in 82 degree water a 3/2mm wetsuit means longer dives and more residual energy after multiple dives (if it ain't 98.6, you are losing body heat, consuming more air).

Also, the venture wing does not need a STA with a BP/w (at least the DR plates). I have cave diving friends who do like the tranpac for diving sidemounts.

I had heard that a sta would be required with the back plate, if diverite's plates don't require this I may skip the transpack and go transplate.

But...now the question is witch plate? SS or Aluminum? Pros and cons please.

While we are at it who uses the integrated weights? They seem more streemlined in my opinion, but I have no practical experience.

If I were going with the plate I'd get steel to take some of the weight of my hips (for diving dry). I use both integrated and a belt, I like the 16# pockets, the 32# are huge. Aluminium is a good choice if you are flying with it or you don't need a lot of weight.

The Venture Wing (a other Dive Rite and many other) works fine with the Dive Rite plate without at STA. The BP as slots (as do many others) to mount the cam bands.

That is one of my set-ups - that said, I use a STA as I change my wings out a bit and my newest wing the Oxycheq Mach V requires one.

As far a BP's, I use:

SS Dive Rite- for the rig that stays in the Keys. I like the weight when diving ALU 80's and even with my steel 95's is works great even with no weight.

SS Hammerhead - For my cold water (read drysuit) rig, this helps reduce added weight

AL Hammerhead- (w/2 piece STA) - My warm water travel rig. I have couple of small pockets on a cam band to add some weight once I get to the location.

DSS Kydex - I might switch from the AL for travel. I bought it because I am dive **** and it looks nice. I am not so happy with the location of the holes to mount the STA, so this one will most likely go up for sale soon.

I use a variety of intergrated weight systems (Dive Rite, Halcyon and Abyss) depending on the need.

kayakguy:
I had heard that a sta would be required with the back plate, if diverite's plates don't require this I may skip the transpack and go transplate.

But...now the question is witch plate? SS or Aluminum? Pros and cons please.

While we are at it who uses the integrated weights? They seem more streemlined in my opinion, but I have no practical experience.

I dive the SS plate. It is still fairly travel friendly. My BP/w set-up with SS plate really doesn't weigh much (if any) more than my old traditional BC and it packs in less space All that padding and extra fabric, and plastic back frame of the traditional BC does have weight. The SS also works perfect for my weighting. In 7mm and hood I need no more additonal weight when diving my steel tanks. When I go warm water, a couple of 1 pound weights in the pockets works great for my 3mm suit. As for pockets, both the 16 and 32 are good choices. I went with the 32 pockets. You could easily put 8lb in each pocket and still have room for a backup light or two and a Safety sausage and finger spool in the other. It really works we as a pocket for weight and gear. The 16 would be a little more limiting if you need much weight. As an instructor, I like the extra room for extra stuff (slates, lights, etc). I wear the 32 pockets fairly far back on the belt. When diving this is more streamlined as it is in line with my shoulders.

diveprof:
As for pockets, both the 16 and 32 are good choices. I went with the 32 pockets. You could easily put 8lb in each pocket and still have room for a backup light or two and a Safety sausage and finger spool in the other. It really works we as a pocket for weight and gear. The 16 would be a little more limiting if you need much weight. As an instructor, I like the extra room for extra stuff (slates, lights, etc). I wear the 32 pockets fairly far back on the belt. When diving this is more streamlined as it is in line with my shoulders.

I found the 32s physically too large for me to fit on the waist belt, but then I have my pockets quite far forward because I find my trim is a little better and it is much easier for me to ditch them when they are forward... but then I am a novice still experimenting with my setup.

noobascooba:
I found the 32s physically too large for me to fit on the waist belt, but then I have my pockets quite far forward because I find my trim is a little better and it is much easier for me to ditch them when they are forward... but then I am a novice still experimenting with my setup.

For the thinner female diver, the 16lb pockets would be a better choice. Each 32 pocket is 2.5" wider (the 32 is 6" wide), though the 16s are a little longer. This means 5" more on the belt for two. Unfortunately, I have 5 extra inches on my belt. :( A SS backplate would allow you to remove 5lbs from your pockets and may give a little more space for stuff (light, safety sausage, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom