Diverite Venture or travel wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kayakguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
O.K. I have decided on the Transpack. I plan on only diving singles at lest for the short term. When I decide to dive doubles I will buy another wing.

I need to know if there is a clear advantage to one or the other. I realise that the travel wing will only accomodate up to an al80, but realistically that is what most of my single tank dives will be(I think).

Does the construction material play a factor? Is one vastly more durable?

Thanks in advance,
Bryan

I opted for the Travel Wing because it is more compact and streamlined than the Venture wing. As for only accomodating an aluminum 80 I dive my travel wing regularly with steel HP 100's and HP 120's. The Venture wing is probably a little more durable but I have well over 100 dives on my travel wing with virtually no wear.

kayakguy:
O.K. I have decided on the Transpack. I plan on only diving singles at lest for the short term. When I decide to dive doubles I will buy another wing.

I need to know if there is a clear advantage to one or the other. I realise that the travel wing will only accomodate up to an al80, but realistically that is what most of my single tank dives will be(I think).

Thanks in advance,
Bryan

Single steel 100's are fine with the Travel Wing. Both have 30# lift.

I think the only difference between the Venture and the newer Travel is shape. Both have a bladder inclosed in a zippered outer bag.

I like the travel wing.

kayakguy:

Thanks in advance,
Bryan

I have the Venture wing and love it. Both the travel or Venture would be good choices. I like the shape of the Venture better than the travel wing. The Venture also works with Backplate or transpack, the travel wing only with the transpac. I would suggest giving more thought to the transplate or back plate and harness. I dive HP80's and 100's and use the transplate with Venture wing. I really like this set-up.

diveprof:
I would suggest giving more thought to the transplate or back plate and harness.

I second this comment especially when you are planning to go into doubles in the future. If you will end up to go with the backplate, you might need to go with Venture Wing for singles as the Travel Wing is designed to work with TrasPac only.

With a backplate, you can decide to go with the continuous webbing harness setup or the TransPlate if you prefer the adjustability of the harness. I started my BP+Wing setup with the TransPlate but later switched over to the continuous webbing and never look back.

Hope this gives you some idea.

I hear the suggestion about the backplate, and have agonized on that point. What I hear though is that the plates are not the best for singles, which realistically I will dive the most. I am sure that some one will counter this statement(About the singles not what I will dive).

I have also heard that the transpac harness would work with a backplate. Therefore in the future all I would need is the plate, and wing. So really I would probably just buy another setup all together.

My concern is having a rig that is not "ideal for anything." If that means a transplate and a transpac, that may be what I have to do.

Keep it coming guys, I was hoping to pull the trigger tonight.

Where do you hear that plates are not the best with singles? IMO diving with a steel plate is ideal for a single AL80, because of the weighting/trim advantages.

I guess the venture wing has a new shape, right? Looks really triangular. Anyhow, I've never seen the travel wing and venture wing side by side, so I don't know about the size difference. I have a travel wing clone made by jetharness. It works fine; the butt dump valve is on the right side as opposed to the left for most wings. Somewhere there's a DIY guy worrying that not being able to control buoyancy exclusively with your left hand will certainly kill you someday.

If you can find the jetharness travel wing clone, it's cheaper; I paid $120 for mine.

I agree that the backplate and wing is the best option for singles. Talk about a low profile, travel friendly BC! Having the weight (or significant portion thereof) over your lungs and next to the wings is a beautiful thing when it comes to trim and wings. The shape of the Venture wing helps if you are "foot/leg" heavy. Another interesting observation, the backplate is actually very comfortable - even in a .5mm wetsuit. I get much less tank wobble with a BP/W than in a more traditional BC - less torque. As a person with a previous back (disk) injury, less torque is good... very good.. As others have said, the evolution of a diver (for those who do it often enough) goes from jacket BC, to back flotation, to BP/wings. Why not skip a step and save the $$$?

I have the venture wing and my buddy has the travel wing. They are very similar in terms of size and have the same lift. They both pack down real small. I'm glad I went with the venture because if I switch to bp/w I can still use it for singles without having to pay out for a new wing(and I have no plans to dive anything but singles for many many years). I think the venture is more versatile for this reason.

I like my transpac a lot but I took the padding off the shoulders and I was contemplating taking the back pad off- it retains a lot of water and is very heavy when wet so cleaning it is a pain (only an issue if you are a weakling like me). I am starting to wish I went with bp/w because even though the transpac is more padded, comfort is only really an issue out of the water since the weight of the rig is supported in the water.

Just my experience, not sure if it helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom