DiveRite regs....any regrets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eliminator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking at some new regs for my doubles. Considering Apeks, Atomic, etc, but some places are selling the RG2500 for very cheap. I already have an RG2500 on my deco bottle, but have never breathed from it "at depth". I want these regs to last a very long time and be the best deal over the long run....

Looking at "free parts" programs, it seems that DR has the best and most liberal one compared to some of the other brands, which can add up to big savings over the years.

So, if you own the RG2500/3000 and had to do it all over again, would you shell out the big bucks for the bling-bling or stay true to the DRs?

I'll probably be looking at another stage/deco reg in the next 12 months, so again, I'm considering the RG2500 and keeping my fleet one brand?

Last edited:
...while I've never owned/dove DR regs...I've owned/used a DR dual bladder wing...10W HID can light...and over the yrs various assorted spare parts/bits/pieces...and overall no complaints. Presently my primary regs are Apeks XTX 200 and Atomic M1...also own Aqualung Titan LX...Poseidon Jetstreams....Mares Ruby / Voltrex. I do know Scubadiving.com and Divernet.com do lots of reg tests...you might check over there for comparisons/reviews. ....from what I remember, the last Scubadiving.com review had them as 'mid-pack' level performers. You might try posting this question over on the DR manufacturer's forum for more responses.

Personally, I like the LP port on the bottom of Salvo regs.....a little bit easier hose routing than say an Apeks DS4 design (Dive Rite, Hog, etc.). They route more like a Scubapro MK25.

Almost all modern balanced 1st stages are more than adequate for recreational divers. Almost all 2nd stages are more than adequate.

The 2nd stage, and the way it is tuned, is where you will feel most of the difference between regs. Pick one you like, which might be different than what someone else likes. Some people like bigger 2nds, some like wide exhaust ports, some prefer the smaller models, and sometimes just changing the mouthpiece or adjusting the cracking pressure can make you really like a reg that you didn't care for.

My buddies and I all have Dive Rite regs and done a considerable amount of diving on them, including many dives past recreational depths. We've had no problem with the performance or reliability of any of them and I found them to have acceptable hose routing for doubles.

Only thing I don't like about mine is the mouthpieces, but I simply swapped them out for Atomic mouthpieces.

i dove a couple of Dive Rite regs for a few years, and they were fine. i wish i could remember what they were. i think they were a couple of RG 1200's?

i never had any problems with them

i do remember the regs looked a bit, underwhelming, not shoddy, but you know, plain ... that was just the impression i got

after i switched to Apeks, i really couldn't tell much of a difference, if any, except that the Apeks seem to be made with better quality plastic and metal.

"seem" is the key word

We liked the RG3000/RG2015 setup we rented a few times so much that we bought a set as our regs. Good stuff, and the two-year maintenance schedule and free parts is hard to beat. There's a thread on TDS that answers this question pretty well:
The Deco Stop

I use the 2500's on my twin 108's, love em and breathe great...a buddy of mine who uses apex regs thought mine were breathing better than his :wink:! They are great and have never had a problem. I use the 2015 for a deco reg too...

I have RG2500s on my doubles, they breathe great and the hose routing is just fine. I haven't had any problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom