Diver scooped up by fishing boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's nothing. I heard that once someone who was lake diving in California was scooped up by a fire fighting helicopter & dropped into the middle of a forest fire.

nipi:
That's nothing. I heard that once someone who was lake diving in California was scooped up by a fire fighting helicopter & dropped into the middle of a forest fire.

That's a good one! Though it never happened, urban myth.

Sea ya!

Tagerisatroll:
I'm glad this diver is Ok.

He must have come up very fast not hard to believe if a boat was draggin him, but you have to rember your gas laws from your OW class with out the proper amount of time to allow the gas to escape from your tissue it will expand where it is, to about twice its size from 14m which will cause a bent condition. Not as sever as with a deeper dive but I'm sure it will be very painful still. In addtion I'm sure he was exerting himself like crazy trying to cut himself free which only incresased his risk factors.

Good Point. I didn't think of the over exertion he may have had.

Either way - that's the last time I'm racing my budy to the surface :wink:

They say you never really know what it's like to be in somebody's shoes (or in this case -fins) until you actually experience it for yourself....
Do you think this diver eats fish now?

Oh the mental picture I'm getting...Guy in tuna net looking around thinking...what the @%#$...and the look on the fishermen's faces...I'm glad the guy's ok...I really am but...:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

well, that's one way to see lots of fish

Where was he diving? The article does not say, nor does it mention if he weas with a dive operator.

I would think most dive operators stay clear of popular commercial fishing areas.

The dive flag / dive boat is my real question. It is unfathomable (no pun intended) why he would be diving without some form of indication of a diver down. Was the fishing trawler not aware or regulations of position related to a dive boat, if he was off a boat?

I am glad that the boat at least was able to get him the help he needed quickly.

Any updates on this incident? There are too many pieces missing. I would really like to find out more details on this.

Thanks,

TOM

REII:
Any updates on this incident? There are too many pieces missing. I would really like to find out more details on this.

Thanks,

TOM

Not really an update, but Divernet has a couple of extra details:

Divernet:
Diver snagged by fisherman
A diver was treated for decompression illness after being accidentally caught up in pot lines off Dorset and hauled to the surface by fishermen.

The diver, reported to be a man in his forties, was thought to have been diving at depth of about 14m last Saturday when his SMB line got knotted around the pot lines.

As the fishermen pulled in their pots, the diver was hauled upward by his own SMB line and forced into a rapid ascent.

Recovered into his dive boat and showing signs of DCI, the diver was airlifted by the Coastguard's Portland helicopter to the chamber in Poole, accompanied by his female buddy who had ascended normally.

Thankfully, after treatment he was deemed well enough to be discharged

From divernet.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom