Diver missing for 7 years recovered on Wilhelm Gustloff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, entangled bodies in wrecks have a tendency to float away.
If in warm water and not entangled, I would think that one would surface as decomposing gases build up, at least for a while, and drift away with currents before wildlife stripped it.

However, in the cold Baltic waters (0F to 39F in winter according to the Wikipedia article linked in post #1, and I would not expect much warmer whenever he was lost), gases would be slow to build as crabs, eels, and such started to work - minimizing floating. If entangled, he might not drift at all. Once wildlife finished stripping the body, bones and an dry suit with no air would tend to settle into the silt. Am I wrong in my understanding here.

Perhaps "typically" but not always
I saw human remains on a wreck a few weeks ago. The ship went down in 1927
Anything more than bones?

Anything more than bones?
No he's well preserved in very cold & deep water in the Great Lakes. In no way recognizable though, his limbs have mostly fallen off as well as his head. Its definitely a somber place.

I am glad the missing diver was found.

But talk about ruining a dive.......I can't imagine this is something anyone would want to discover on an otherwise normal day of diving.

There is obviously a duty to do something, but what do you do in such a situation? Leave things alone, surface and inform some authority? If so, whom?

Surely you don't recover the missing diver on your own?

But talk about ruining a dive.......I can't imagine this is something anyone would want to discover on an otherwise normal day of diving.

There is obviously a duty to do something, but what do you do in such a situation? Leave things alone, surface and inform some authority? If so, whom?

A first responder friend of mine found a body on a recreational dive. Realising he was in no position to recover the body himself, he recorded the location as carefully as he could; retrieved a single item which might help with the identification; and passed on the information to the local police ASAP after the dive. The body was subsequently recovered by police divers.

T'would indeed be interesting to learn how the finding divers dealt with this event but it wasn't a "normal dive" from the outset.

This is incorrect
Warships are owned by the country of origin in perpetuity even in international waters.

Which is what makes the destruction of the Repulse and other wrecks in the south china sea illegal as well as reprehensible.

When did this happen? Never saw any news on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom