Diver missing for 7 years recovered on Wilhelm Gustloff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are we forgetting that the deceased was a willing party to the deception from the get go? Had it been one of his buddies instead of himself, wouldn't it be likely that he'd have "lied" as well?

Sorry, but if everything went well and you were checked, I could understand a lie to get away with.
But if the sh** hits the fan and you have an emergency or fatality, you should have the balls to admit where it happend and not send potential rescuers off.

Ah yes, of course. My bad. I wasn't thinking of the recovery teams.

And, (i know this as absolutely hypothetical and unlikely) imagine the diver managed to somehow surface or get into an airbell.
No you as his buddy, in order to save your ass from persecution send the rescuers to another ship. Congrats.

And, (i know this as absolutely hypothetical and unlikely) imagine the diver managed to somehow surface or get into an airbell.
No you as his buddy, in order to save your ass from persecution send the rescuers to another ship. Congrats.

This. Maybe not likely, but if he freed himself and made it to the surface, only to die from injury or hypothermia, that's on these guys. Genuine accidents happen, and blaming buddies for those is pointless, but when you deliberately sabotage a rescue operation to try and save your own hide for doing something illegal, that's a whole different ballgame. The fact the victim was every bit as much of an idiot/arsehole as the survivors shouldn't exonerate anyone. Two wrongs and all that.

I wonder how many of them were in the group.

I can understand why they lied to the authorities about where they were diving but surely in the last 7 years they had opportunities to go back and get him and give him a proper burial.

They may not have known where on the wreck that he was lost. It's an enormous wreck.

They may not have known where on the wreck that he was lost. It's an enormous wreck.
True she’s huge, and I’d say the lie was told before the accident as they couldn’t say where they were going and what they planned on doing

Back
Top Bottom