Diver missing for 7 years recovered on Wilhelm Gustloff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wholesale salvage is a lot different than a few divers going down and taking a few pictures or video though
Sure it is. Where do you draw the difficult to enforce line? The Louvre could leave their doors unlocked, no guards, if they could expect everyone to be honest, respectful, and careful - but there's not much chance of that. In an effort to curtail looting, this wreck is protected as a no diving site, which won't stop everyone - but will prevent advertised charter sales and mass diving.

The U-352 off of North Carolina is a war grave and penetration & collecting is illegal. Being 26 miles off of the coast, it's easy to protect against wholesale salvage operations, and the dive rules are pretty much respected, I think.

The U-352 off of North Carolina is a war grave and penetration & collecting is illegal. Being 26 miles off of the coast, it's easy to protect against wholesale salvage operations, and the dive rules are pretty much respected, I think.

You have obviously never dove the U352. It has been thoroughly looted. Some looted artifacts are even on display in local dive shops.

Sure it is. Where do you draw the difficult to enforce line? The Louvre could leave their doors unlocked, no guards, if they could expect everyone to be honest, respectful, and careful - but there's not much chance of that. In an effort to curtail looting, this wreck is protected as a no diving site, which won't stop everyone - but will prevent advertised charter sales and mass diving.

The Louvre could also lock its doors so no-one could enter, which is essentially what you are promoting.

You have obviously never dove the U352. It has been thoroughly looted. Some looted artifacts are even on display in local dive shops.
I have a couple of times, several years ago, but never entered. I think all of the bodies were recovered so it's an empty grave. Ok, so I guess the law is not well enforced on looting. I may have seen some artifacts from it years ago but don't remember.

The Louvre could also lock its doors so no-one could enter, which is essentially what you are promoting.
I believe they do every day at 6pm or 9:45pm and all day Tuesdays.

As an add to the NC salvage comments.....
I dove off Hatteras with a local shop 10 years ago and was appalled to find that they were looting metal off the wreck while we were recreationally diving the site!
I could hear the lift bags being used during our dive and it took me awhile to figure out what it was. I thought maybe someone was in trouble but then saw the shop owner salvaging metal off the wreck and sending it up to the surface!
After our dive the recreational divers had to take our gear off and ride back to the dock while trying to advoid tripping over a huge pipe (at least 2' x 10') that was rolling around the deck along with other huge pieces of metal. When the shop owner was questioned by another diver he said "Do you think I can feed my family with what I bring in running charters?"
It was so sad and to this day the most awful experience I've had diving!
SO DISREPECTFUL!
(I will not name the Dive Shop as they are no longer in business....suprise suprise!)

It is unlikely that we will be coming up with the definitive answer or even a completely wrong speculative answer for what occurred to the poor diver in his accident.

Be that as it may, this is the Accidents and Incidents subforum.

For those wishing to discuss the looting of war graves or other ships lost at sea, please find a thread already in place other than this thread or start your own.

This thread, in this subforum is not to be used for that purpose.

Thank you.

@chillyinCanada,
My point is, these divers would have reported the missing diver if this wreck wasnt supposedly illegal to dive which is where the heart of this controversy lies (next to losing his life). International bodies of water have no real jurisdiction and if put on the spot I'd challenge the Polish court over it. Poland doesn't have a problem with people visiting Auchwitz but yet the Gustloff is somehow different.

Nevertheless as I feel for the group that lost their diving buddy, I couldn't have slept at night knowing I gave the authorities wrong information to look for my missing friend and people risking their lives in place where you know isnt the correct location. Facing legal action or not, I personally wouldnt have misdirected the search team being part of one myself.

"Poland doesn't have a problem with people visiting Auchwitz but yet the Gustloff is somehow different. "

Great point.

Folks it is possible they are telling the truth and the body could have drifted that far in seven years. I'm not defending any crime or unethical behavior but I think the people involved should be afforded the same due process that each and every one of us would demand for ourselves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom