Diver missing at Ginnie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems like rhetorical parsing. Why would you post the first sentence then?

Would this be better? "I know Joe, and he never carried enough bailout. Readers of this forum should ignore that fact, however, since I don't know if that was a factor in this tragedy."

I mean, what would the point of publicly stating your concern about a dive buddy's practices unless you were attempting to make some sort of point about the topic of the thread?
Since we are fully in the hypothetical realm, I suspect I would not comment at all unless the accident analysis (yeah, right) concluded he had not enough bailout, in which case I might add my point to indicate that this was a practice of his, not a one-off event. My goal would be to strengthen the point of enough bailout is critical, not optional. Trying to mitigate the, "Well, I've never needed more bailout than I carry!" kind of responses based on complacency.

unless the accident analysis (yeah, right) concluded he had not enough bailout
That would be a matter of opinion. Why would you want to be a tattletale? The lesson to learn would Carry Enough!

Since we are fully in the hypothetical realm, I suspect I would not comment at all unless the accident analysis (yeah, right) concluded he had not enough bailout, in which case I might add my point to indicate that this was a practice of his, not a one-off event. My goal would be to strengthen the point of enough bailout is critical, not optional. Trying to mitigate the, "Well, I've never needed more bailout than I carry!" kind of responses based on complacency.

I guess my point is - it's fine to say the problem was insufficient bailout if there was some sort of evidence that there was insuficcient bailout. I just don't see the relevance of saying that "Joe had a reputation for carrying insufficient bailout". Just doesn't seem fair or reasonable to me.

But a minor point, and this is certainly not my tribe, so I don't want to overstep.

Why would you want to be a tattletale?
Because I'm not in grade school anymore; cave diving is serious stuff.
It makes a difference if the hypothetical diver's lack of enough bailout was a one-off circumstance, or a habitual practice based on complacency. Yes, the primary point is carry enough bailout. The secondary point -- more general and pervasive -- is avoid complacency.

alright, name has been published. Gloves off boys.

Don't do stupid sh!t. Just because you're certified to do a dive doesn't mean you're still qualified after many years out of the water. Don't be a cowboy. There are old divers and there are bold divers but no old bold divers. 62 wasn't "that" old, but a far cry from many others still diving in their 70's and 80's. What actually caused this death is largely irrelevant because the root cause is he shouldn't have been back there this soon after getting back in the water.
Please note the date of this post, the signature at the bottom, and please ignore any comments about @Superlyte27 as they are not relevant.
Post taken from this thread

View attachment 717481
Were there any other details released? Bailed out/oog or hypoxic/etc?

How far back was he?

For one, the forum rules prohibit it until published, and the owner has that right.

My bad. Poorly worded on my part. I meant to state that there isn't any hurry to publish the name until the family is notified.

This sucks.

EDIT: Tursiops and I posted this nearly simultaneously. Andrew was an extremely well known cave diver.

Here is an old thread that may be of interest. It quotes an article by Ainslie in which he describes a near fatal incident. The discussion that follows is interesting.

Were there any other details released? Bailed out/oog or hypoxic/etc?

How far back was he?

Nothing published yet. The details of what directly caused his death are pretty inconsequential IMO, it's a reminder to us all that when a skill isn't used, it degrades and you need to take time to build it back up. He was a cowboy, his death is a disappointment but I would be hard pressed for anyone who knew him to say they are surprised.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom