Diver lost in Cozumel today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first I have heard of another fatality last week. If true, I am not surprised given some of the conditions. I guess if it can be confirmed it deserves its own thread. I am aware that DAN got a larger than usual number of calls from Cozumel last week and Dr. Piccolo picked up some additional chamber customers. It was a heck of a week.

Diver injuries and deaths are played down on Coz and I am sure other dive destinations as well. I don't mean that in any accusatory way but I doubt any of us knows how many divers get injured or worse there in any given time period. I am sure most of the divers there do not participate in Scubaboard and many are not DAN members.

Diving is a hazardous activity and there are risks, whether a diver is new or experienced. Although I have my own guess, I don't really know what happened to the woman who was lost, so I don't see how I can draw any conclusions about whether or how her unfortunate death could have been prevented.

My sympathies to her family.

---------- Post added April 2nd, 2012 at 05:26 PM ----------

Hello all.

When we surfaced, the ocean was just plain weird. My entire dive group was caught in a 30 foot diameter whirlpool and circling each other. These whirlpools were everywhere - large circular areas of smooth, swirling water, surrounded by choppy water on the outskirts of the whirlpool. It was the freakiest ocean water I had ever seen.

With all the other weirdness we experienced last week I had not even thought about it, but on one dive my group was a bit spread out when we ascended and my wife and the DM ended up a good 50-60' away from the rest of us. We got on the boat first and later my wife mentioned how she and the DM were swirling around each other while waiting for the boat to get over to them and we had noticed something like you are describing...the surface of the water where they were was different than the surrounding area, kind of flat looking. I assumed it was a point where currents from different directions met.

Glad you and your daughter were okay...what a week.

Thanks for the info......also....

1) I think that will dispel any myths of moving to the wall to escape the current.
2) Surprised your DM hasn't seen this more often. It happens all the time up at Barracuda and has been reported around Santa Rosa this time of year every year for many years.

1. I don't believe you can accurately make that assertion since all currents are different in force and direction and are greatly affected by the underwater topography through which they travel. There are just too many variables involved for a blanket statement like that.

2. I was also diving nearby that morning with a group of Coz regulars and it was unlike anything any of us had seen before and that includes the northern dive sites. First few minutes of the dive were absolutely normal. The next 25-30 minutes included a very strong downwelling at a sand chute, another very strong downwelling coming over top of the wall, two directional changes of the normal, but unusually strong, horizontal currents and then a whirlpool current at the safety stop.

We were at Palancar Bricks and often do that dive to 90 fsw and log anywhere from 50 to 75 mins on an AL80. Our dive that day ended after 34 mins because we were all low on air and totally worn out.

First few minutes of the dive were absolutely normal. The next 25-30 minutes included a very strong downwelling at a sand chute, another very strong downwelling coming over top of the wall, two directional changes of the normal, but unusually strong, horizontal currents and then a whirlpool current at the safety stop.

It sounds like the currents undies are either all up in a bundle or they aren't - if they are, why stay down? Did you consider surfacing after the first one?

No. All divers must be qualified and not limited to the lowest commen denominator. Maybe I'm having a brain fart here, but as a parachutest, we were pretty much self reliant. I am not all that happy with the training my daughter had, but she does have me.

Edit. Sorry guys, my reply was to Dave's last post.

I think a lot of the fuzziness comes from the Labor Day dive.

I am intrigued that no matter how many people say the conditions in Cozumel last week were unusual and extreme, including people very familiar with Cozumel diving, and including dive masters working on the island, others who were not there keep insisting the conditions were not unusual or extreme.

It sounds like the currents undies are either all up in a bundle or they aren't - if they are, why stay down? Did you consider surfacing after the first one?

We were actually just going from one strange event to the next working our way back up from our max depth of 107' where the first downwelling took us.

I am intrigued that no matter how many people say the conditions in Cozumel last week were unusual and extreme, including people very familiar with Cozumel diving, and including dive masters working on the island, others who were not there keep insisting the conditions were not unusual or extreme.
Some have? Missed it. I appreciate that it was a tough week. Dealing with one down current can be enough, but it sounds like y'all had a lot more than that. I mentioned on the Crazy Currents thread I think it was, with a youtube illustration, that my hunch was that enough of the Gyre current went east of the island that counter Eddies developed - causing north to south currents in the channel to conflict with south to north current, clashes, down currents, whirlpools, and more.

Finally! Someone speaks the truth . Thank you. They can say and defend all they want, but when they put that rank on their back for the first time I can assure you they were looking at their DM/OP to save them if they got uncomfortable. They could have had 10 dive buddies and they still would look for help from the DM/OP. When you take a fee for services you assume responsibilty for your position and what you represent. This is as horrible as can be. I'm glad they are still looking and we all should still be praying. Please people , don't judge or assume you would have or that they should have. Until your wearing those shoes and I pray no one ever does, you really can't say. He needs all the positive support and all the prayers and believing he can get right now. Miracles still happen! Those that are seasoned divers already know what can be learned and newbys will know a few more cautions and questions. Lets stop the he should of she should of for now and do some real knee time and be supportive. Send some love, they need it right now. They have other forums for learning. Love , Kelly,Drew, and boys

Finally! Someone speaks the truth . Thank you. They can say and defend all they want, but when they put that rank on their back for the first time I can assure you they were looking at their DM/OP to save them if they got uncomfortable. They could have had 10 dive buddies and they still would look for help from the DM/OP. When you take a fee for services you assume responsibilty for your position and what you represent. This is as horrible as can be. I'm glad they are still looking and we all should still be praying. Please people , don't judge or assume you would have or that they should have. Until your wearing those shoes and I pray no one ever does, you really can't say. He needs all the positive support and all the prayers and believing he can get right now. Miracles still happen! Those that are seasoned divers already know what can be learned and newbys will know a few more cautions and questions. Lets stop the he should of she should of for now and do some real knee time and be supportive. Send some love, they need it right now. They have other forums for learning. Love , Kelly,Drew, and boys

Not sure what you mean. The Accidents and Incidents forum is setup exactly to disect these situations and provide a learning environment. This is the forum for learning.

I'm not sure what truth you're talking about here. Yes, newbies do look to DMs for help when they are uncomfortable, but that's not their training and not what they're supposed to do. Certified divers are supposed to look for their buddy and solve their own problems. Whether or not a DM is a "pro" isn't particularly relevant to what the diver should be doing. Like it or not, we are responsible for ourselves under water. That's why shops/boats/operators all have you sign waivers. That's why training courses make you sign similar waivers and papers saying you understand the dangers involved in diving.

As for "other forums for learning", that is specifically what this forum is intended to do. If you want prayers and condolences, there are other forums here. If you want learning, on scubaboard- as it relates to accidents and incidents, this IS the appropriate forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom