Diver lost in Cozumel today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish this family all comfort and solace at this time. As someone who has a background as a mental health professional, I know that what is referred to as "ambiguous loss" where you can't really say goodbye to someone in a manner that is normal because there is no way to have a normal funeral with someone who is missing is especially difficult. Closure is hard. I'm not sure that some of this discussion is making it any easier, although I do appreciate hearing from the family, and I recognize that the point of this is for all of us to learn and manage risk with better awareness.

My wife and I are almost diving "twins" of this couple. We are both new. We certified in Cozumel on a trip, and for now, it is the only diving we know. And we are going back to do some more in about three weeks for AOW and then more diving after that. The similarities have made us sit back and wonder what we might do in similar circumstances.

At the same time, because Cozumel is all we know, and we always had pretty strong currents when we were in training (and afterward when diving the remainder of our time there), I have assumed that managing currents and buoyancy is a normal part of diving. Admittedly, we didn't have to claw sand or hang onto a reef to keep from being pulled to significant depth. And we were certified our dive op, even though they had on their schedule a trip to Santa Rosa, said they would not take us there, because it was not a place for beginners. They were adamant about that. So I don't know what that wall is like.

What I do know is that we spent a lot of time in training on managing buoyancy and depth in the open water dives, and seemed to do that specifically in relation to the currents. There is a lot we don't know yet. There was a lot we didn't know, and we realized it as we were training and after we got home. (Since then, we have taken EFR and O2 training, purchased gear--esp. including our own signalling devices and computers so that we can know more about our own dive profiles and position, etc., taken nitrox so we could understand more about gas management, and signed up for rescue already (which will be done with a LDS here). We've read the rescue book, although haven't done the course yet.

I believe that learning in Cozumel introduced us to both the wonders as well as the risks of diving. I realized that even though I had implicit trust in our dive op and DM/teacher during our OW training (and they did earn it by their concern for safety), that we were not equipped the way we should be as certified divers, and that there were some "trust me" aspects to our diving as new divers there. Not carrying our own signalling/safety devices or having our own computers was part of that (even though we did have SPGs and I learned a lot about using the tables during that time.) We were still estimating rates of ascent, etc. that a computer will tell you...and we decided even from that experience that 1) we were going to keep diving, because we fell in love with it, and 2) we were going to be absolutely responsible for our own diving decisions and safety as a buddy team, regardless of who we were with, etc. We own the responsibility for our decisions, and managing our risk, not any third party.

It seems to me that one issue that has not been explored a lot (although mentioned) is the decision to put those divers on Santa Rosa to begin with. There is no way that someone who has never dived there could know enough to make an informed decision as to whether to do that dive or not. There aren't the same kinds of warnings for walls or currents that are given about going into covered environments in OW training. You know when you get an OW card that you are NOT qualified for covered environments. I'm not sure you are taught that limitation about currents or walls...and simply "diving within your limits" is taken, many times I think, to refer to depth/temperature/darkness, etc., as the primary concerns. Something to think about...even for well meaning people, how can you know what you don't know? And in a classic "knot," if you don't know you don't know, then you think you know--enough at least. Which is probably as much what happened here as anything.

One question that seems relevant to me, personally, is to re-think the whole notion of whether my wife and I, both as new divers, should be buddying with one another. Some of the posts here, seem to indicate that it is a bad idea for new divers to buddy with one another at Cozumel. At the same time, buddying with someone you know and trust, and whose equipment and mannerisms you know (as well as general experience with their air management/use, etc.), seems much more preferable than doing an "instant buddy" with a more experienced person when you are on a diving trip and the only person you know is someone who is at your same experience (or inexperience) level. So, are those with a lot of experience diving Cozumel recommending that my wife and I should not be buddying with each other? How would we, as examples, even get enough information to make an informed decision in circumstances like those in this tragedy?

Because he probably thought he could do both--notify the guide and then catch up with buddy immediately.

Remember that this was a new diver with only a couple of logged dives. It is a reasonable decision.

Probably?? In other words you have no facts to back that up and did not list that statement as speculation. My point wasn't to conclude what a reasonable decision was or wasn't at the time, rather to point out that him losing visual contact with her is absolutely a contributing factor to this accident. I did not say it was 100% the cause of her demise just 1 of many contributing factors, not to mention the gross misconduct by the dive op. Just my opinion of course, but divers should learn from this.

... Something to think about...even for well meaning people, how can you know what you don't know? And in a classic "knot," if you don't know you don't know, then you think you know--enough at least. Which is probably as much what happened here as anything.

One question that seems relevant to me, personally, is to re-think the whole notion of whether my wife and I, both as new divers, should be buddying with one another. Some of the posts here, seem to indicate that it is a bad idea for new divers to buddy with one another at Cozumel. At the same time, buddying with someone you know and trust, and whose equipment and mannerisms you know (as well as general experience with their air management/use, etc.), seems much more preferable than doing an "instant buddy" with a more experienced person when you are on a diving trip and the only person you know is someone who is at your same experience (or inexperience) level. So, are those with a lot of experience diving Cozumel recommending that my wife and I should not be buddying with each other? How would we, as examples, even get enough information to make an informed decision in circumstances like those in this tragedy?

I think you are very right about not knowing what you don't know in reference to your own abilities and the difficulty of the dives you are about to do. A number of year ago someone I know who thought he was a very skilled diver went to the Galapagos and came back a much humbler person. It will take a while until you are really able to judge your ability with any level of accuracy, and you will even then not be able to judge the difficulty of some dive sites without local assistance.

As for buddying with your wife, I think you should do it. There is a lot to be said for getting to know your regular dive buddy well. You will develop your own communication, and you will get to know each other's habits. What you should do, IMO, is make it clear to your operator what you believe your abilities to be. If it is a good operator, you will get a dive that you and your wife can handle. As the week goes on, a good DM will get a better handle of your abilities and be able to suggest appropriate sites of perhaps increasing difficulty.

As for Santa Rosa, with the right currents it can be a very easy dive. I have done the upper section several times as a night dive--it is excellent for that.

You should absolutely buddy with your wife. If you are going to go places and both dive there is nothing better than having a buddy you know. You'll both develop knowing how each dives and can discuss safety, what you've learned, things to work on and other things outside of your diving time. You will grow together and help each other be better divers and safer buddies.

In my opinion I wouldn't take the rescue diver course yet, I wouldn't even take the AOW yet. I personally believe you get a lot more out of them after having some pre-requisite experience built up. In my ideal world I would say get 20 dives under your belt before taking AOW, then get 50 under your belt before taking rescue. Just my opinion.

Just take it slow, don't fall into any trust me situations, remember you are responsible for your own safety and you'll be safe and enjoy diving for a long time.

I'm am troubled by the immediate howls when people suggest that the DMs have responsibilty for the safety of their divers. I clearly and loudly acknowledge and understand that we are all first-and-foremost repsonsible for oursleves. But, I am now at about 65 dives and am just now becoming comfortable and realizing how much (a) I still do not know; and (b) how much I really did not get in dives #1 - #50 (OMG or #1 - #10 especially). The dive shops hold themselves out as safe places for vacation divers to go and learn to dive under the watchful eyes of highly trained people who put sfety first. PADI gives its name to only those places it chooses to hold out to the public as meeting its qualifications. Even if I knew and understod that I was responsible for myself on my early dives, I now realize that even though I studied and understood my lessons, I did not really have a clue of where I was or what I was doing for the most part. I was totally at the mercy of the DM to ensure that I got to where I was going and got back up safely. I am not blaming the DM for the sad event in Cozumel last week. I have no facts and do not believe in outsiders casting blame in any event. That is for the family and the courts - if ever. But, the kneejerk response on SB is to stress personal responsibilty. I get it and I accept it. But DMs need to accept that they are advertising themselves as being repsonsible; holding themselves out to the public (including cruise ship passengers) as providing a safety-oriented service; and they cannot just say that divers are repsonsible for themselves. No one who has done just 2 twenty foot certification dives is fit to dive except under close supervision. Intentionally or not (and I think it is) PADI and its dive shops offer the public the promise of the needed supervision, experience, and safety. They are indeed responsible generally - for al least reaonably performing the services that they claim and are paid to perform - and that is a lot more than just being a tour guide. They are responsible from the beginning to the end to take reaosnable care of their divers. I know that the concept of reasonable care is very elastic and imprecise. Courts know what it means (yes I am a lawyer). No one has to be perfect and guarantee the safety of an idiot who deliberately imperils himself, herself or others. But you also cannot shirk all repsonsibility and say that its is always the diver's repsonsibilty when you have invited very under-experienced people to pay you money to dive with the promise of supervision and safety.

+1 for 'buddy with your wife.' My wife and I have been regular buddies for several years and it is a great experience for us and makes diving even more enjoyable. We frequently debrief after dives about new ideas for signs and what we expect from each other given certain situations. We have created signs probably unique to us as a buddy team. This thread prompted a great conversation from what we should do as a buddy team in a similar situation. It is great to know your buddy well and have well established protocols. Just speak up to your dive op about your skill and experience level. If they don't listen, find another OP.

But DMs need to accept that they are advertising themselves as being repsonsible; holding themselves out to the public (including cruise ship passengers) as providing a safety-oriented service; and they cannot just say that divers are repsonsible for themselves. No one who has done just 2 twenty foot certification dives is fit to dive except under close supervision. Intentionally or not (and I think it is) PADI and its dive shops offer the public the promise of the needed supervision, experience, and safety. They are indeed responsible generally - for al least reaonably performing the services that they claim and are paid to perform - and that is a lot more than just being a tour guide. They are responsible from the beginning to the end to take reaosnable care of their divers. I know that the concept of reasonable care is very elastic and imprecise. Courts know what it means (yes I am a lawyer). No one has to be perfect and guarantee the safety of an idiot who deliberately imperils himself, herself or others. But you also cannot shirk all repsonsibility and say that its is always the diver's repsonsibilty when you have invited very under-experienced people to pay you money to dive with the promise of supervision and safety.

Just to be clear, the dive shops are not an extension of PADI. A shop can set up a business relationship with PADI, but PADI does not dictate its policies. PADI will discontinue that relationship if it receives and substantiates reports of unacceptable actions, but that is really it.

As for the rest of the post, I agree in certain situations. The role of a DM varies considerably from place to place around the world. In some places the DM does little more than help you get on and off the boat. In places like Cozumel where the DM leads the dive from beginning to end, then I think your characterization is apt. It is kind of a double think situation. The diver has to think, "I am responsible for myself," while at the same time the DM has to be thinking "I am responsible for that diver." The diver has to be ready to act independently after realizing that the DM is not acting appropriately on the dive, and the DM has to do what he or she can to make sure that dives are conducted within accepted standards of safety.

Just to add to my last post, in the one case I know of in which a DM was successfully sued, he led divers on a dive clearly beyond their ability in depth and time, and refused to share air with a diver who went OOA as a result. In another case, a diver as struggling at the surface and the DM foolishly got him to remove his BCD without removing the weight belt first. I don't know the outcome of that case--it was recent, and the DM committed suicide shortly after the lawsuit was announced.

There is precedent that the DM does indeed have responsibility.

Because he probably thought he could do both--notify the guide and then catch up with buddy immediately.

Remember that this was a new diver with only a couple of logged dives. It is a reasonable decision.

New divers nearly always believe the DM is responsible for their safety and that they need to obtain permission or at least notify the DM if they're going to do something unexpected.

However when it causes separation or even momentary inattention with a distressed buddy, it's almost always a bad idea. When a buddy is having problems, the other half of the buddy team needs to be directly addressing those problems with full attention. In a an actual or potential emergency, seconds (even just a few) count a lot.

It would be nice if discussing this was a clearly defined part of the normal recreational OW class PADI/SSI/etc., but as far as I know, it isn't.

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

I'm am troubled by the immediate howls when people suggest that the DMs have responsibilty for the safety of their divers. I clearly and loudly acknowledge and understand that we are all first-and-foremost repsonsible for oursleves. But, I am now at about 65 dives and am just now becoming comfortable and realizing how much (a) I still do not know; and (b) how much I really did not get in dives #1 - #50 (OMG or #1 - #10 especially). The dive shops hold themselves out as safe places for vacation divers to go and learn to dive under the watchful eyes of highly trained people who put sfety first.

When you get right down to it, the idea that "The DM will keep me safe" is a lie of omission.

I don't think it's actually stated anywhere that a DM will keep an OW diver safe, although for tropical vacation destinations that use DMs, it's implied in every possible way.

Cozumel is possibly the worst offender, where a DM-lead dive is required inside the park, implying additional safety and supervision, however no single diver (DM/instructor/superman/whatever) can actually keep everybody in a group safe, while also leading the dive and pointing out "cool stuff".

I have no problem with whatever level of service is possible, however the divers should be making the dive with accurate information about who is responsible for what.

flots.

Hello all.

I'm new to Scubaboard but registered and decided to post because I was just up the wall from this diver the morning she went missing. I was diving with my wife and two kids, brother and sister-in-law, our former scuba instructor and his wife, and our favorite DM - Julio from Opal's Dream. We dove Palancar Caves that morning and were dealing with currents most of the dive - mostly funneling through the coral formations down towards the wall. During our ascent, my daughter and I were caught in a down current that took us away from the wall and down into the deep blue. I had an unwavering grip on my daughter and was finning at full force all the while watching my depth increase. I signaled my daughter to fin, which she did and still we went deeper. We then tried to swim towards the wall to see if we could get out of the current and hug the wall, but as we did so our depth increased at a faster pace. During this time, my former scuba instructor was hovering above us banging his tank and motioning for us to ascend. He was probably 20-30 feet above us and was not caught in the down current, and thus, he couldn't understand why we weren't ascending with the rest of the group. At last, I inflated my BCD and finned as hard as I could and was only then able to stop our descent and work out of the down current and control the speed of our ascent. Ditching my weights was the next step, but luckily it didn't get that far.

When we surfaced, the ocean was just plain weird. My entire dive group was caught in a 30 foot diameter whirlpool and circling each other. These whirlpools were everywhere - large circular areas of smooth, swirling water, surrounded by choppy water on the outskirts of the whirlpool. It was the freakiest ocean water I had ever seen. Dive boats were everywhere looking for their divers. As we all loaded into a boat, a couple who had their own surface buoy and apparently had been floating at the surface for some time called out to our boat captain asking him to help them find their dive boat. By the time all nine of us had loaded in our dive boat, their dive boat had radioed that they were on their way.

I don't know the lost diver or her husband. But I can attest that the diver could have vanished very quickly that day - in a matter of seconds if she was caught in a down current like we experienced. My dive instructor was only 20-30 feet above us and was experiencing no current at all, while I was down below him doing everything I could to stop my rapid descent. If the lost diver panicked or didn't remember her training/equipment, she could have easily been swept down and out of sight. Keep in mind, too, that visibility was not the best - also as a result of the swirling water.

At the top, our DM called it "tornado currents" and said that in 9 years of daily diving in Cozumel, he had only seen currents like that day on one prior occasion.

My heart goes out to the guy that lost his wife. I can't imagine the emotions he must feel, including, I'm sure, responsibility for the accident. Having been in those waters that morning, I will cut the guy a break and extend him my condolences.

By the way, the lost diver was not the only tragedy of that day. Our DM informed us the next morning of another diver who died from injuries she suffered on a dive near ours - apparently, she inflated to ascend (presumably to get out of a down current) and failed to control her ascent to the surface once she got out of the current. She suffered either decompression or lung overexpansion and died the next day.

I am just grateful that my dive group got up and out safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom