Diver lost in cave in Florida/Homossassa...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"The Coast Guard received a call at 2:24 p.m. Sunday from two men reporting that their dive instructor, Cummins, had not resurfaced from a dive. The three men had been cave diving from a 29-foot vessel in the Gulf of Mexico just offshore of Homosassa.
The two students resurfaced after a dive. . . "

You're making an assumption that they were not involved in a cave class. You may be correct, but I think you should give the benefit of doubt.

You're making an assumption that they were not involved in a cave class. You may be correct, but I think you should give the benefit of doubt.

Several news paper accounts say this was an open water class and the article quoted above says he was not cave certified.

When someone dies we know something went wrong. So there is less chance we are going to give them the benefit of the doubt since we want to know what went wrong to so we don't end up dead too.

I am convinced that the only reason I survived a dive last summer was because of the time I spent reading the accident forum. It was the lessons learned from picking apart the actions of some poor dead guy that helped me pull it out. Too bad for him, but good for me that I didn't repeat more of his mistakes. I was already repeating some of them and the thread of my actions started sounding very familiar.

My prayers are with his family and friends. We are losing alot of divers this year, this is truley sad. Please everyone be carefull and when at all possible dive with a good buddy.
Becky

According to the information provided, none of them were cavern/cave divers, not even the instructor.

Are we self teaching ourselves cave classes now? If so, it apparently doesn't seem to be as effective.

This is shocking. When i saw this i felt like calling a friend that has some other friends that live in that area. When I awoke today i had a message that it was her friend's father. It is a shame that we lose so many divers due to lack of training.

The guy had been disbarred lately, too. Maybe he just didn't care much about life anymore. No matter now, it's just good he didn't take anyone innocent with him.

I am convinced that the only reason I survived a dive last summer was because of the time I spent reading the accident forum. It was the lessons learned from picking apart the actions of some poor dead guy that helped me pull it out.

What happened and what did you learn that saved your life?

Back
Top Bottom