Diver lost in cave in Florida/Homossassa...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since my last post was pulled for some reason I will again state in a hopefully politically correct way that reports from US Coast Guard District 7 and Tampa news channel 10 that the diver in question was an OW instructor with two students doing their advanced AOW. For some unknown reason they were exploring a "crack" or cave in the sea floor 4 miles out. What they were doing there in the first place is one thing that seems to be totally out of place for an AOW class unless cavern/cave is now a part of AOW. Regardless of that the fact is two students surfaced and the instructor did not. The body as been recovered and no foul play is suspected. In accordance with the rules of this forum I cannot help but wonder what would be going thru the mind of any individual to put students(regardless whether they were already certified as AOW) in such jeopardy. I also wonder if they were in any way prepared or properly equipped to undertake an exploration of an environment on the sea floor that would, again from the reports, seem to call for at the least cavern or even full cave with all appropriate equipment and precautions? It's actions like this that could cast less than favorable light on the activity as well as instruction in this sport as well.

It is always heart breaking and shocking when anyone's life ends, but there is a special kinship between divers, even those of us who have never met.
My prayers are for his family...

as usual it's a lot of speculation based on newspapers, TDS, SB and people who have never even dove in the area

You don't need to be a cave diver to know "non-cave diver in cave = bad".

I feel bad for the guy, but always wonder "what could he have been thinking?" (just like the guy who died up here doing a solo penetration on a collapsing wreck in 40' of water 20' from shore).

Terry

Am I missing somthing? I did'nt see anything about them not being cave certified

Am I missing somthing? I did'nt see anything about them not being cave certified
"The Coast Guard received a call at 2:24 p.m. Sunday from two men reporting that their dive instructor, Cummins, had not resurfaced from a dive. The three men had been cave diving from a 29-foot vessel in the Gulf of Mexico just offshore of Homosassa.
The two students resurfaced after a dive. . . "[/quote]

Terry

It's unfortuate to lose another diver. My condolences are with the family. Once the complete report comes out, then that will be the time to really discuss the accident.

My prayers are with the family.
Carolyn:sharks:

Missing Inverness diver found
Monday, October 1, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOMOSASSA, (Bay News 9) -- The Coast Guard in Yankeetown found a dive instructor and Citrus County lawyer who was reported missing Sunday.

The body of 40-year-old James Cummins of Inverness was found in a cave Monday morning.

The Coast Guard received a call at 2:24 p.m. Sunday from two men reporting their dive instructor, Cummins, had not resurfaced from a dive.

The three men had been cave diving from a 29-foot vessel in the Gulf of Mexico just offshore of Homosassa. The two students resurfaced after a dive and waited for Cummins to resurface. They waited 15 minutes and called the Coast Guard.

Cummins operated a Crystal River dive shop called Offshore Adventure Dive Center.

An autopsy is pending at the medical examiner's office in Leesburg.

Although no foul play is suspected at this time, the Sheriff's Office is waiting the autopsy results before classifying its death investigation as accidental.

Cummins apparently was not a cave-certified diver.

The Sheriff's Office says it's critical to have the proper training and equipment before attempting to dive in caves, and to always take the appropriate safety precautions.

Cummins worked as an attorney in Citrus County

Back
Top Bottom