Diver lost in cave in Florida/Homossassa...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Odd that it would change.

It didn't. You quoted the comment made on his blog.

Undersea quoted the comments made on his main page.

They are all still there.

Looking at this guys blog and considering his total experience i would write this off as a very silly person who thought himself way to bad-*** and paid the price.

Sorry but that is hardly debatable. Any diver that thinks they can set a new depth record with what appears almost no real training or support is already a statistic.

If he really wanted to break the OC depth record he would not have done it in this way.

It didn't. You quoted the comment made on his blog.

Undersea quoted the comments made on his main page.

They are all still there.
Ahhh. I was wondering why it would change like that. I'm just not paying attention, lol. :lotsalove: :D

this debate about if he went down to 600 ft or even 300 ft reminds me of the commercial for tootsie pops.

"How many liqs does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? The world may never know."

ok...continue:D

I don't usually post on these forums but I feel I have to. I was at the scene after the fact.
This new open water instructor took two new divers into a cave. They had to go through a restriction to enter (one person can fit through at a time). The top of the mound was at 40' and a few feet beyond that you lost all ambient light. viz varied from 10 to 40 feet depending on the depth. As you followed the permanent line down close to 100' the ceiling and the floor met ( a typical florida sink hole) but it had black talcome powder type silt.
He convinced them that he was a technical expert , I talked to him and I know he never dove with helium and probably never had a set of doubles on his back so his stories about depth are ficticious (see blog on my space "project 1100") .
DON'T GO INTO A CAVERN OR CAVE WITH ANYONE INCLUDING OPEN WATER INSTRUCTORS UNLESS YOU ARE TRAINED TO DO SO OR ARE IN TRAINING WITH A CAVERN OR CAVE INSTRUCTOR! It's real lucky we didn't have 3 fatalities.
The rules of accident analysis are;
Training (none were trained even for cavern)
Guidline (they followed a pernmanent line down but the instructor left the line)
Air (use 1 third to enter and two thirds for exit, the instructor started in with a half a tank)
Depth (cavern depth limit is 100', they kinda stayed with in this limit) (one out a four)
lights (carry at least 3 lights per diver and have redundent air supply, they were set up for open water)
I feel bad for the family and fellow divers, I just don't want to see this scene keep repeating.
Dive safe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom