Diver Indicted in 2003 GBR mishap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In that vein, I wonder if OJ will finally get hitched again now that he will be enjoying his 9 to 15 year stint in his ÅÎost eligible bachelor celled pad. IÃÎ sure he meets the ÅÑoor me side of the equation based on the look on his face in the news this morning.
Sorry.

I think OJ is worried about his player status. He goes in prison as a tight end but he is worried about becoming a wide receiver.:D:D

GabeÃÔ not in jail yet, so I am not sure the comparison is apt. Nonetheless, I think you are right in general. Actually, this happens a lot with people in relationships where one person is not incarcerated, so maybe you are right after all.

Perhaps the ÅÑoor me and ÅÎy love will change him syndromes are an extension of the caregiver syndrome that leads loads of people into unhappy relationships. I guess one added advantage of the ÅÑoor me husband sitting in prison is that he is less likely to go astray not willingly anyway.

In that vein, I wonder if OJ will finally get hitched again now that he will be enjoying his 9 to 15 year stint in his ÅÎost eligible bachelor celled pad. IÃÎ sure he meets the ÅÑoor me side of the equation based on the look on his face in the news this morning.
Okay, way, way off topic now. Avoiding work©br>
Sorry.

You got my intent...... the reference to people in jail was just to illistrate how extreme this gets in some cases. I certainly haven't convicted him yet.... but I certainly wouldn't want my daughter married to him...

K'girl you seem to be the most up on what's happening with this. Has anything happened with regard to his extradition or arrest warrant?

K'girl you seem to be the most up on what's happening with this. Has anything happened with regard to his extradition or arrest warrant?

Nothing yet, but I did find another instance of strange behavior at Tina's wake:

"..Watson showed friends at a wake after her funeral a macabre video with him saying: 'Smile at the camera, case you get eaten by shark or something.'

He joked that for an extra $10 his wife could have had a million dollar life insurance policy.."

Source: Dive death hubby&squo;s sick jokes | The Daily Telegraph

I have not read all of this thread but I have followed this case somewhat because of the link to diving. No doubt the guy killed his wife for money and had planned it all along. I'm just glad they finally arrested the SOB. So after they find him guilty of murder, and they will, they should do the following. Put a set of scuba gear (except for fins) on him with with an aluminum 80 full of air. Then cast his feet and legs in concrete and sink him at the same place he killed her. Then just let the guy sit there and breath up his air until that last gasping breath. Now that would be justice!

I've seen multiple references to Watson's "slow ascent". Does anyone have specifics on just how slow?

STORY: The Hug of Death Source: The hug of death

[Interview] CONSTABLE MURDOCH: "Mr Watson's dive profile shows he took two minutes and 30 seconds to reach the surface, which is a very conservative rate of ascent, considering his rescue diver training and the level of emergency," he said. "His time based on a safe civilian rate of ascent should have been 9m a minute, which means he should have taken just one minute and 18 seconds to reach the surface to seek help. (His dive profile showed) there had been no rush to get to the surface."

-----------
Watson tries to explain the slow ascent by telling police that he attempted to contact another diver for help, even by shaking him, and described the other diver as an Asian diver, but investigators were not able to locate the diver Watson described.

[From Watson's Statement with Police.] WATSON: the well yeah, I the guy that I tapped was a Asian male I mean cause he he looked, we looked directly at each other.. wasn't like a you know hey check this out I mean it was cause I was, I was frantic at that time.. um you know grabbed and shook him, they turned around I was screaming her name..
---
CORONER'S REPORT: Gabe states that in his ascent completing the fatal dive; he addressed a diver underwater of Asian appearance and signaled to that person the difficulties Tina was in. All other divers in the water that day with the exception of Mr Kim and Miss Jeon were called and excluded themselves as the diver referred to by Gabe. Mr Zillman [Gabe's attorney] submits that this email contact.. I cannot dismiss Gabe's claim that he did contact a diver during his ascent.
----------
However, if he is not ascending, this is not an explanation for a slow ascent. The dive computers starts recording the ascent at the time he starts his ascent, not when he is shaking or trying to communicate with another diver. Then, Watson then says he "shot" to the surface, but his dive computer records two minutes and 30 seconds to get to the surface from 40 feet (during an emergency). That is slower than the leisurely recommended ascent rate CONSTABLE MURDOCH described. It only took the instructor who brought Tina up less than 2 minutes to go all the way to the bottom at 90 feet and bring her back up to the surface.

I've tried to read all of this thread, but cannot. Has anyone mentioned that he now lives in Tina's house that he inherited when she died? Its a nice house in a nice neighborhood with a pool. He has now moved his new wife into Tina's house.

If he thought he would get the house, plus the huge insurance money he was expecting, that's enough of a motive in my mind.

Last edited:
[Interview] CONSTABLE MURDOCH: "Mr Watson's dive profile shows he took two minutes and 30 seconds to reach the surface, which is a very conservative rate of ascent, considering his rescue diver training and the level of emergency," he said. "His time based on a safe civilian rate of ascent should have been 9m a minute, which means he should have taken just one minute and 18 seconds to reach the surface to seek help. (His dive profile showed) there had been no rush to get to the surface."

its typical for even fairly experienced OW divers to not be able to hit a consistent ascent rate on a blue water ascent with no reference point. they'll either undershoot or overshoot the ascent rate.

he's clearly lying about why he took so long to surface, but lying is still not positive evidence of murder.

I decline to render an opinion as I do not have nearly enough information on which to base an opinion. However VeryRusty's post prompts me to ask this question: Assume that Tina's death was truly an accident and that Gabe is telling the truth -- (1) Should he have declined to accept the house? (2) Should he have opted not to live in it, i.e. to have sold it and bought another? (3) Should he have declined to enter into a relationship with another woman and/or to marry her? (4) Should he have opted not to live in what had been Tina's house, i.e. to have sold it and bought another?

While I recognize that financial gain is often a sufficient motive for a crime, does the fact that someone benefits from what they claim was a negligent act always support the conclusion that the act was intentional and not negligent?

And, in the context of this particular matter, had Gabe refused to accept the insurance money, etc., wouldn't a good prosecutor be able to argue that Gabe's decision to decline the benefits was just an attempt to cast suspicion away from himself and that the attempt proves his guilt?

I'm inclined to agree with Lamont, whose observation about the statement being a lie reinforces the importance of refusing to talk to the police (assuming you are in a jurisdiction that recognizes the right to remain silent).

A lie may not prove guilt. However, it gives a good prosecutor something with which to work.

Should he decline to accept the house? I don't know. That would depend on who bought it. They were only married 11 days. If her parents bought it for her then the kind thing to do would be to turn the house over to the parents.

But thats not the issue for me. For me the issue is that none of these things alone are enough to convict anyone of anything, but together they paint a very dark picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom