How in the heck did this happen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no way that these ships could have disappeared at that depth and no one knowing anything. These ships are armored and lie in deep water, maybe the coordinates are off? I'm as liberal as it gets when it comes to salvaging a shipwreck or it's artifacts, but these are sacred sites where not only our countryman died on, but other allied powers who fought on the side of justice. I'm sickened if these wrecks are truly gone and my heart goes out to the Dutch, British, Austrailians, Zealenders, and our own American servicemen whom lie entombed in these underwater mausoleums.

wow....

This reminds me of an off hand joke on a boat years ago...

My dive buddies and I were offshore on a dive trip to a wreck in the Gulf of Mexico. We were 30 miles out and couldn't find the wreck. We ran a search pattern around the coordinates and saw nothing on the bottom finder. After an extended search, the answer to the riddle was obvious.
It was impossible that the guy at the bait shop had given us the wrong coordinates and it was impossible that we entered or had written the coordinates down wrong. It was also impossible that our $69 GPS unit was having a problem. We decided that the issue couldn't possibly be us and that obviously some a-hole had picked up a 700 foot wreck from 100 feet underwater and moved it.

It was a joke at the time.

It makes the complaint that scuba divers disturb war graves when we dive these wrecks pale in comparison.

Finally someone cleaned up the garbage left on the sea floor. And people are unhappy?
Why should we be able to kill each other and not recover the bodies? Could this ever happen on land?

they were just pulled out in pieces from the bottom and sold for the steel, just plain corruption, nothing new in ASIA, specially in Indonesia, the pieces of ship were send to the Surubaya port and sold for steel.

This have government people behind it, that allowed this to happen, it was a big operation with cranes, big barges and divers.
So, is this something you know for a fact, or is this just your speculation?
Isn't this what @NetDoc's A&I thread is all about? How to distinguish fact from fancy?

Finally someone cleaned up the garbage left on the sea floor. And people are unhappy?
Why should we be able to kill each other and not recover the bodies? Could this ever happen on land?

Are you kidding? What part of your ass are taking out out of? That "garbage" on the sea floor happens to be the tombs and final resting places of hundreds if not thousands of allied sailors that fought for our freedom and peace. That is a highly disrespectful comment for someone who knows nothing about the sacrifices made in that war. These are not sunken fishing boats and freighters, but warships that were on the front line of a hellacious war that none of us can fathom. I suggest you leave this forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom