Diver Found Dead Off Jupiter Inlet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think hunters are worse that pic shooters about getting away from buddies...
A diver was found dead off the Jupiter Inlet Friday afternoon after he had been missing for over two hours.

Police said the diver went with a group of others on a charter boat sometime around 10:10 a.m. Friday about 4 miles east of the Jupiter Inlet.

Investigators told WPBF the diver became seperated from the rest of the group and failed to resurface. Another charter boat and the U.S. Coast Guard searched the water for about two hours until they found the diver's lifeless body around 12:45 p.m. Friday.

Police have not yet released the name of the diver to the public.

Does anyone have any real info about this??? I'd like to learn more as these are the kinds of trips I usually go out on....with "advanced" and "experienced" divers

Here's the article from the Orlando Sentinel
Posted March 9, 2007, 5:49 PM EST

An Orlando man was found dead today after he disappeared during a dive in Palm Beach County.

*****, 54, was scuba diving with 11 others 4 miles off the coast of Juno Pier at about 10 a.m. when he failed to surface, said sheriff's spokeswoman Teri Barbera. The dive at "Hole in the Wall," a popular diver's destination, was supposed to last between 25 and 30 minutes.

Forty-five minutes into the dive, the boat captain called for the U.S. Coast Guard, Barbera said. A two-hour search of the surface yielded nothing. During a later search beneath the surface, divers found *****110 feet under water.

He was spotted searching for lobster before by another diver before he was separated from the group and disappeared.

**** arrived at Palm Beach County's Jupiter Dive Center this morning at about 9 a.m. to go on the dive. He was diving with another friend from the Orlando area, Barbera said.

The cause of death is unknown, Barbera said. An autopsy will take place Saturday.

dldiver:
Does anyone have any real info about this??? I'd like to learn more as these are the kinds of trips I usually go out on....with "advanced" and "experienced" divers.

This gentleman passed away with 2000 psi in his tank and an untouched pony tank according to accounts from his buddy posted on Spearboard. They feel fairly certain this was a medical issue that took place during a dive.

In any event, condolances to family and friends.

I just did that dive about three weeks ago. It can be a moderately strenuous dive, the current can be pronounced. As I understand it, sometimes divers don't actually make it to hole-in-the-wall, which is a reef pass-through, because it can be hard for the boat to judge the current. The Op required AOW and Nitrox certs.

Again, condolances.

Jeff

deepstops:
This gentleman passed away with 2000 psi in his tank and an untouched pony tank according to accounts from his buddy posted on Spearboard. They feel fairly certain this was a medical issue that took place during a dive.

sadly, that's the first thing that popped to mind when i saw his age (54)

condolences to his family and friends

My condolences to the family. It's a difficult dive when the currents are strong.

-J.-

Condolences to to family and friends and thanks to the coast guard and rescue teams. My prayer are with you all. My you have the peace that passes understanding that comes from the Lord.

-SC3

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom