Diver Found Dead Off Jupiter Inlet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi:
Sorry...but my patience runs very thin when people start passing judgment on a diver fatality when the facts have not been presented, particularly when those people do not know the diver or the situation...let alone the facts. Without facts (and I don't consider a newspaper article necessarily factual) there is nothing but speculation and nothing good or educational can come from that.

The exact cause of death has not yet been determined, but based on the facts I know from people that were actually with him on Friday...and knowing this diver, and being fully confident in his abilities, safety protocols, etc. I am confident that this was a medical issue.

And yes, Don and Lehman both hit a nerve. Not only was he a loyal diver of my shop, but he has become a friend over the years to myself and my crew. Breaking this news to my crew was actually very difficult....more difficult than I even expected it would be. We are all very sad.

Sorry, Cristi. I didn't know that you knew him. I'm really not trying to speculate or imply diver error.

Lehmann108:
Sorry, Cristi. I didn't know that you knew him. I'm really not trying to speculate or imply diver error.

you basically repeated what was on the article ... i probably might have done the same on a different day

like Cristi said, it just hit a nerve

threads like these will hit a nerve with people who were close to or knew the victim, it's kind of unavoidable

it's just a tragedy any way you look at it

prayers to the family.

Lehmann...thank you for the private message and I know I am more sensitive to this thread than others....so I need to step back a little.

Don, thank you too...I know you menat well...this has just been a tough one to accept.

Mike died doing what he loved, just much, much too early. I will definitely miss seeing his smiling face in Coz multiple times a year, but those the closest to him are the ones I can't stop thinking about right now...my heart has been breaking for them.

Christi:
Don, thank you too...I know you menat well...this has just been a tough one to accept.
Yep, even tho I am clumsy about it at times.
(name removed) died doing what he loved, just much, much too early. I will definitely miss seeing his smiling face in Coz multiple times a year, but those the closest to him are the ones I can't stop thinking about right now...my heart has been breaking for them.
Certainly a sad loss to all who knew him, I agree - and my best wishes to you as well on this unfortunate loss of your friend.

As I posted on the "If I die" sticky, I would want my possible diving death examined well for leanring to dive & live lessons - and I hope that Andy wouldn't write me off as heart attack with my age. It'd probly be more likely my diving skills and protocols, altho I am better than I was in past years, TG!

DandyDon:
I hope that Andy wouldn't write me off as heart attack with my age.

it's not a write off. but it is, statistically, the most likely scenario for men in their 40's and above

H2Andy:
it's not a write off. but it is, statistically, the most likely scenario for men in their 40's and above
True, most divers deaths are after age 40 but part of that is who has time and money to dive more. I think most dives are done by over 40s divers.

However, 60% of deaths are listed by DAN as drowning, even tho those include some mistakes. http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/report/2006DANDivingReport.pdf In some cases, getting buoyant is not an option, but when it is - that seems to be the most common agent in deaths.

Don, i really want to agree with you ... but

i can't figure out that lats post

:wink:

DandyDon:
True, most divers deaths are after age 40 but part of that is who has time and money to dive more. I think most dives are done by over 40s divers.

However, 60% of deaths are listed by DAN as drowning, even tho those include some mistakes. http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/report/2006DANDivingReport.pdf In some cases, getting buoyant is not an option, but when it is - that seems to be the most common agent in deaths.

Drowning is often noted as the cause of death, but it rarely was the actually cause of the accident. Drowning is often a side-effect if you will of what really happened...and it's listed in virtually all diving deaths...whether accurate or not.

We expect the cause of death to be stated as drowning, but we know that's most likely not what actually caused the problem. They're investigating other possibilities of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom