Suggestion Diver Down Flyer for Florida Marinas Project Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
DandyDon

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I brought this quote over from the Accidents forum where the death of a free diver being struck by a boat is being discussed...
This is a tragic incident and my condolences to the family and friends of the diver. I had a close call the same day off of Hollywood Beach. I have had so many close calls over the years it amazes me that nothing has been done to better educate boaters to the significance of dive flags. IMHO every marina, boat ramp and marine related store should have informative dive flag posters on their walls.
Totally agree! The government isn't going to do this, tho, so whom do we ask...?

I've read of a number of near hits and a few hits of divers and free divers by boats being piloted & jet skis ridden by people who don't know what a Diver Down flag is or means. Since it is so very easy for tourists to rent boats in the hurricane state, I wonder if this could be a good project for Scubaboard.com - since no one else is going to do it? I am not in a position to help distribute and post the flyers, but I'd be glad to Pay Pal donate to the fund. I guess the Florida members would need to be the ones to make this work, but as I am an outsider - I don't want to post this there. If it's a good idea, perhaps a Conch would like to take it to the Florida forum...??

Just for discussion here, perhaps ScubaBoard would like to organize the printing of flyers something like below, to be laminated, then taken to marinas, yacht clubs, and anywhere else a boat or jet ski can be rented. Perhaps Scubaboard could set up a special Pay Pal donation fund to accept money to finance the posters, and perhaps the Conch members here would be interested in taking these to needed location and posting? I have posted other flyers enough to know that the only way to get them up is to walk in with the flyer, heavy duty thumb tacks, and a small hammer ask for permission, then nail them up yourself...

Comments...??

In case you didn't know this...
This is the Diver Down Flag - flown by boats with divers or snorkelers
in the the water, smaller versions maybe towed by the divers.

Do Not Approach - Stay Away!!

dive-flag-240.gif

And this Safety Sausage signals a diver in the water.
Do not approach or use as turning buoy!

SafetySausage.gif

Provided by www.ScubaBoard.com

What do ya think...??

It just takes money money money to get it going. I was basically shut down some by the Marine Industries here.. and by Sea Grant... etc..

I've been preaching licensing for 15 years, and law enforcement friends agree, but those in elected positions seem to think its a bad idea. It's even been introduced to the FL House of Rep a few times (so I've been told) and completely swept under the carpet.

With finance for printing I can get the information in the right hands and be a part of the marine trade shows create awareness.

You're not going to get tougher boating laws requiring licenses there. Too much money goes to renting boats and jet skis to the tourists. Won't happen.

If I lived in Florida, I'd be printing out the signs myself and putting them up. I may not do any good by myself, but a start is more than nothing.

There are possibilities - good or not, you're call - for the SB Conchs, SB, news media, who knows...??

Well... if something is printed up... I will certainly walk to the hotel 2 buildings down from mine (that rents jet skis) and ask to hang one there. I hear them all the time when I am doing shore dives. I figure if they get too close, I'd just shoot them with Michelle's spear gun :rofl3:

:joke:

DandyDon:
You're not going to get tougher boating laws requiring licenses there. Too much money goes to renting boats and jet skis to the tourists. Won't happen.

If I lived in Florida, I'd be printing out the signs myself and putting them up. I may not do any good by myself, but a start is more than nothing.

There are possibilities - good or not, you're call - for the SB Conchs, SB, news media, who knows...??
This latest incident is ANOTHER WAKE UP CALL!!!! We don't have to save the world.... anybody hear the story of the starfish?
You're right (OMG I am agreeing with DD!! :D) printing out flyers and posting them where we can is a starting point. Let's get serious folks!! It may be our life or the life of a loved one we are saving. Just one boater that is enlightened is better than none!

Scuba_Jenny:
This latest incident is ANOTHER WAKE UP CALL!!!! We don't have to save the world.... anybody hear the story of the starfish?
You're right (OMG I am agreeing with DD!! :D) printing out flyers and posting them where we can is a starting point. Let's get serious folks!! It may be our life or the life of a loved one we are saving. Just one boater that is enlightened is better than none!
Ok...

Is there a graphic artist in the house?

Is that a hint??
Ok, what do we want the posters to say? Any suggestions?
First and foremost is EDUCATING the readers. Somebody want to write some copy?

Divers Can Be Hurt
Red Flag White Stripe Pointing Down
Means Slow And Watch Out​

Scuba_Jenny:
Is that a hint??
Ok, what do we want the posters to say? Any suggestions?
First and foremost is EDUCATING the readers. Somebody want to write some copy?
As much as you can say that they'll read at a glance? Simple but effective. Good luck. Try something, you can always redesign, as it'll be an ongoing thing. :thumb:

Hi all-
I am a public relations consultant and obsessed diver who dives regularly in the sometimes dangerous south florida waters. I'm terrified by the blatent disregard for safety by so many boats on the crowded ocean and have heard too many stories of close calls with way too many tragic endings.

I want to do everything I can to create a true public awareness campaign and have lots of ideas- from putting up signs to getting the gov't agencies and maritime associations involved.
I'd definitely be interested to know the specifics of what has been done in the past, and what roadblocks you have run into so as to try and overcome them this time.
I also have a great deal of issues campaign experience along with a fundraising background. I'm more than happy to put my experience, skills and resources to use to promote a diver-friendly, safety focused campaign.
Sign me up! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom