Diver-down Flag use.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Diver gadget:
Your comments echo my earlier post:
"There was a bunch of us out diving when along came two jets skis. For about 5-10 mins they went around our dive flags like pylons in an obsticle course."

I'm thinking of building a dive flag , with a machinegun nest and proximatey sensor:boom:

regards

Mike D

Originally posted by BEM
Has anyone been fined or warned by the Coast Guard about not using a dive flag - or improperly displaying it?
The Coast Guard in Canada does not give out fines or inforce marine law, their sole purpose is to save lives in marine emergency's. Transport Canada and OPP "at least in Ontario" have that job. I have been warned for forgetting to take it down by the OPP but no fine.

A funny story: A local instructor was doing a course in a cove just out side of our harbour, when she heard a jetski overhead suddenly she felt a tug on her arm. The jetski had stopped and was pulling up her dive flag. NOT a good thing to do to this girl. She shot to the surface and grabbed the jerk off his jetski and dragged him under water and held him for a couple of seconds.
She released him and gave him the tonguelashing of his life.

I bet he never goes near another dive flag

Originally posted by SubMariner
BTW, my Bro In Law was a diver for Parks Canada. He was one of the people who worked on the Sweepstakes.
I was one of the guys who did the original work on this wreck (the rods through the hull...) about 20 years ago. All of us were volunteers, Tam Dive lent us the tools and liftbags, The use of the WA Spears etc was all donated. Big Tub kicked in air etc. After 2500 dives, that "work" still ranks as some of the most fun diving I've done.

The fee for the tag is great value and as others have pointed out, it does go directly to use in the Park... not general gov't revenues (at least it used to...)

Mostly it's an excuse to get visiting divers in to the Park office to pass along info about conditions and regulations. It ain't quarry diving in these parts...

Years ago, I read that the red and white diagonal flag we love was originally the logo for a dive shop in, I think, Boston, back in the early 60s, owned by Fred Calhoun, one of the founding fathers of NAUI.

Anybody able to confirm this?

Stoo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom