Diver dies in Straits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gamehunter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
While watching the news tonight they reported A Northern Michigan man died, while diving a shipwreck.
The man was diving the wreck of the Newell-Eddy, in Lake Huron off Bois Blanc Island at around two this afternoon.
The Cheboygan County Sheriff's Department says the man was in about 135 feet of water when it appears he ran out of air.
Other divers tried to give him air but were unsuccessful.
As always my heart goes out to the family and friends.
I am hoping to be up there in a couple of weeks

This is very sad, very sad.

That being said, can somebody explain this statement in the news atricle....Officials said Kallweit had a pre-existing medical condition that might have caused his death during the dive.

What pre-existing medical condition causes a person to run out of air??

Again.... very poor news reporting......

rcs scuba,

Your right, I "skip-read" the article, did not notice the change in subject.

Sorry:shakehead

Again, heart felt sorrow for both families in the article

I am not a diver however my uncle was the man who drowned while diving the eddy newell wreck. Yes my uncle did have a prexsisting condition, however I do not believe that to be the cause of this unfortunate accident. I do have some questions im hoping someone can answer. How dose a seasoned diver run out of air? If there is anyone out there that has more info please share it with me. We were not told much, just the already stated facts that he ran out of air. My uncle was very well known in the small town where he lived and will be greatly missed. My heart goes out to my aunt whom loved her husband more than anything in this world.

*** Mod Post ***

Keep the discussion on topic please.

*** Mod Post ***

dmontcalm:
I am not a diver however my uncle was the man who drowned while diving the eddy newell wreck. Yes my uncle did have a prexsisting condition, however I do not believe that to be the cause of this unfortunate accident. I do have some questions im hoping someone can answer. How dose a seasoned diver run out of air? If there is anyone out there that has more info please share it with me. We were not told much, just the already stated facts that he ran out of air. My uncle was very well known in the small town where he lived and will be greatly missed. My heart goes out to my aunt whom loved her husband more than anything in this world.

I know you are looking for answers, unfortunately there isn't enough information available for anyone here to state what *may* of happened.

Condolences to your family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom