Missing diver found - Lake Mendota, Madison, Wisconsin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Amissing diver who was pulled from Lake Mendota on Friday morning has died.

The Madison Fire Department’s water rescue team and other agencies located the missing diver in Lake Mendota near Shorewood Hills, brought the diver to shore, administered medical care and took the person to an area hospital where he later died on Friday morning, the Fire Department said.

The diver was a 63-year-old man, the Dane County Sheriff’s Office said Friday afternoon, but the office gave no additional identifying information.
At about 9:20 a.m., the Madison Fire Department’s water rescue team responded to the lake for a report of a missing diver.

With coordinated assistance from Dane County sheriff’s marine enforcement boat patrol, the Dane County communication center, Shorewood Hills and UW Police departments, the diver was quickly located, returned to the surface and transported to the shore for medical care and then taken by ambulance to the hospital, the Fire Department said.

The diver was a 63-year-old man, authorities said, but his identity was not available.

Oh crap. I know a number of people who dive Mendota. :(

Oh crap. I know a number of people who dive Mendota. :(

We had a week of high 70s here but I've no idea what the water temp in Mendota is, google says around 40 on the surface. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the first dive of the year in Mendota.

I have no details and am not going to ask -- way too soon -- so you'll have to wait for the official announcement. :(

(Edit: I don't know who you know but chances are he's not one of them.)

Very sad news. I’ve done that dive near Shorewood Hills. Pretty shallow & benign except for the crazy cold water this time of year. Viz wasn’t stellar if I recall correctly.

The deceased diver has been identified as Dr. James Skibo, the WI state archaeologist. Below is the announcement from the FB page of the WI Historical Society (a state agency).

IMG_2473.jpeg
IMG_2474.jpeg
IMG_2475.jpeg

Not to be confused with another Dr. James Skibo, Senior Vice President of the Army & Air Force Exchange Service, who dies in Dallas TX earlier this year as a result of injuries suffered in a bicycling accident.

He was one of the archeologists credited with finding 1200 year old and 3000 year old canoes in this lake: 3,000-Year-Old Canoe Discovered In Wisconsin Lake

Not to be confused with another Dr. James Skibo, Senior Vice President of the Army & Air Force Exchange Service, who dies in Dallas TX earlier this year as a result of injuries suffered in a bicycling accident.

He was one of the archeologists credited with finding 1200 year old and 3000 year old canoes in this lake: 3,000-Year-Old Canoe Discovered In Wisconsin Lake

He didn’t find the canoes. He helped bring them up, but he didn’t find them. One of the WI maritime archeologists found the canoes, first one was found on a fun dive. The second canoe was found on a class dive with a CCR student.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom