Diver dies in Straits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmontcalm:
I do have some questions im hoping someone can answer. How dose a seasoned diver run out of air? If there is anyone out there that has more info please share it with me.

I am very sorry for your loss and while I don't have any info about this incident there are many ways to run out of air. From what I have read it seams he was diving a single tank, what size I do not know but lets say a steel 100 and using a rule of thirds. This would give him 33 cf of air at the anchor line which is not much air to deal with a problem like a free flow or stuck inflator hose which at those depths in that cold water happens. Again not to speculate but an experienced diver could do hundreds of dives in the 80’ to 120’ range but would still be a newbie at the 140’ to 165’ range. Not to mention the press does not get diving accidents right very often so you may never really know what happened.

As always in uncertain circumstances, the answer may never be known. Take hold of the fact that it was just his time and nothing else, Celebrate his life not his death. My condolences to the ones left behind. maybe he is in a better place now.

Tell your family we are very sorry for their loss. I can say a prayer and give my condolences. Hang in there

I am so sorry to hear about your family's loss. Please know that we do not know how you and your family feel exactly, but we certainly do care and will be keeping your family in our thoughts and prayers.

I am fairly new to diving with around 50 dives, so this is sooo much that I do not yet know. Here is a little of what I know from my own limited diving experience. Let's say and Aluminum 80 cubic foot tank will last me about 2 hours breathing on the surface. If I go down that same AL 80 will last me about 60 minutes at 33 feet or 1 atmosphere. If I go down to 66 feet or 2 atmospheres, it lasts me somewhere around 30 minutes. The deeper I go, the less time I personally have on a tank. My mood and how I feel physically also affect how long a tank will last for me.

Once I became upset on a dive and it only took me 15 minutes to drain a tank. My breathing became very rapid and my heart was racing. I kept telling myself to calm down, but had a hard time doing just that. 5 minutes into the dive I had a problem and had to surface. Did a slow swim back up and incline and when I got out after only 15 minutes in the water, I was below 500psi. Had I waited even another minute or two, I most likely would have been out of air. The guys I was diving with still had close to 2500 psi out of the original 3000 psi in there tanks when we made it back to the surface.

500psi means I still have 500 pounds of persure in the tank. You are supposed to always plan on getting out of the water with a good bit air in your tank so that if there is an emergency you will have some air to spare to get you out of trouble. You are not supposed to plan on using all the air in your tank.

My explanation of how gas/tank air works under pressure on how your physical and emotional well being play into how long a tank will last is quite elementary. There are thousands more on this board who know much more than I do. Any specific questions that you might have, folks will go more than out of their way to answer if such answer are able to be found, especially to the family. As I said, I am new to diving and certainly open to correction from the more seasoned among us.

Some questions that you might want to ask if you can get the information are:
What was his size of tank? Had he used this tank on another dive?
How many dives had he done that day, depth, time?
What were the conditions, visibility current, temperature waves and so forth?
Did he have a dive computer? The dive computer records depth, dive time, temp, average depth, and maximum depth. Many computers also record what is happening during the dive to show what was going on 30 seconds, 60, 90 and so forth. If his computer was air integrated, it will tell how and at what rate he consumed the air.
The above questions may or may not lead you to a better understanding what happend. It is hard to know until you ask the questions and see if the answers lead anywhere.

If you have some questions that you want to ask, but don't want to post publicity because you feel they are too sensitive, send a private message to one of the moderators on this board and I am sure they would be glad to talk with you off board or point you to someone who might be able to answer a sensitive question.

We will try to be respectful knowing that this diver's family is reading the thread. Sometimes we try to speculate what might have happened and who's fault it is not out of disrespect, but to try to figure out what might have gone wrong since we don't know all the facts, but we do know something went terribly terribly wrong on this dive. We try to speculate on what might have happened and talk about it on the surface while we have lots of air to breathe, so that if we are in a similar situation underwater and must react immediately we might pull from the lessons learned on this board and perhaps might emerge out of a very dire situation ourselves. If we could figure out what went wrong and share that with your Uncle before this fateful dive, I am sure he would have found it very useful to know what he was facing and perhaps could have recovered from the problem. We are not able to go back in time and do that, if we could do that we certainly would. We are able to discuss it so that future divers might learn.

With deepest regards and respect to your family,
Leah

dmontcalm:
I am not a diver however my uncle was the man who drowned while diving the eddy newell wreck. Yes my uncle did have a prexsisting condition, however I do not believe that to be the cause of this unfortunate accident. I do have some questions im hoping someone can answer. How dose a seasoned diver run out of air? If there is anyone out there that has more info please share it with me. We were not told much, just the already stated facts that he ran out of air. My uncle was very well known in the small town where he lived and will be greatly missed. My heart goes out to my aunt whom loved her husband more than anything in this world.

We could talk about why some "seasoned" divers run out of air but that would tell us little or nothing about how it happened to your uncle. I couldn't even brainstorm possible reasons in my own head without putting some kind of definition to the term "seasoned" in regard to training and experience and then putting it into the context of the specific dive and the equipment and procedures being used.

Jim was a great supporter of diving in the Straits area, and will be dearly missed.

The Newell Eddy is not a simple wreck to dive. It is a wooden steam barge, with two masts still upright. The dive boat moors to the taller of the masts, which rises to (I believe) 45 ft depth. A diver follows the mast down to the deck at 145 ft, or the bottom at 168 ft., and then moves to the other mast. Ascending the 2nd mast, there is a line that can be followed back to the taller mast, where you ascend to the surface. Air management is critical, with great depth, narcosis, and generally poor visibility.

It seems that Jim may have gotten too far ahead of his partner in his haste to get back to the ascent line. When he ran out of air, he was unable to hold his breath long enough to get back, or he inhaled water as he was making the switch to the buddy's regulator. I know it can be VERY hard to get a dry breath if your lungs are aching when you stick a flooded regulator in your mouth - you just inhale by instinct, without thinking about clearing the water out first.

This may not be what actually happened, but from my knowledge of this dive site and brief (heartbreaking) conversation with another diver who was there, it is my best guess.

DPDiver,
Thank you for taking some time to fill us in on what happened to your dear friend and fellow diver. It is a good reminder to all of us that even simple mistake underwater can be costly. And also that no matter how seasoned we are or might become that some sort of peril will mostly likely find us underwater someday and that we need to be prepared to deal with what might come.

After a minor incident of my own, certainly not to be compared to your friends incident by any means, I have decided to practice basic OW skills at the beginning of each dive and not to dive with those who do not wish to practice with me.

We will continue to keep you, your friends family, and those divers who shared that tragic dive with this fellow. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it has been for you all.
Leah

Sorry to hear about your family's loss.

33 feet or 1 atmosphere. If I go down to 66 feet or 2 atmospheres
I'm just going to throw this out there...33fsw is 2atm, 66fsw is 3atm. :wink:

We just returned from the Straits within the hour. It was some great diving up there but I would not recommend it for the newbee. Jim was a topic that was still on everyone's mind, and he has left a lot of friends behind. I hope that this community can heal from it's loss as he is very sadly missed.

Back
Top Bottom