Diver dies at Monastery Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a terrible tragedy.
I have one dive at Monastery that ended when one of my buddies had a close call. It would have to be pretty flat for me to dive there again.

My husband and I will surelly miss Edward. We are greatly saddened and our deepest sympathy goes out to his wife and family.

I have dove, as well as to have chosen not to dive Monastery many times. The swell is sooooooo very deceiving. Even with a big swell, it's not like you see giant curlers rolling in with surfers. There are usually great humps of tremendous energy, which break right at the shore of this very steep beach, then mysteriously suck back out to sea.

Many divers make bad judgement calls every year at Monastery, as well as at so many other sites. Time after time divers get away with picking up their boot straps and thanking nature that they didn't get the worst senario that day. With a little sweat on the brow, hopefully a lesson learned. I'm just very sorry that these divers judgement was wrong this day, this week.

Please let this be a lesson for divers to gather weather, swell and site information from whatever resources are available. Anyone can always call local dive shops any day of the week and they will be more than happy to provide local information.

Missing this wonderful person...
...Patty

My husband and I will surelly miss Edward. We are greatly saddened and our deepest sympathy goes out to his wife and family.

I have dove, as well as to have chosen not to dive Monastery many times. The swell is sooooooo very deceiving. Even with a big swell, it's not like you see giant curlers rolling in with surfers. There are usually great humps of tremendous energy, which break right at the shore of this very steep beach, then mysteriously suck back out to sea.

Many divers make bad judgement calls every year at Monastery, as well as at so many other sites. Time after time divers get away with picking up their boot straps and thanking nature that they didn't get the worst senario that day. With a little sweat on the brow, hopefully a lesson learned. I'm just very sorry that these divers judgement was wrong this day, this week.

Please let this be a lesson for divers to gather weather, swell and site information from whatever resources are available. Anyone can always call local dive shops any day of the week and they will be more than happy to provide local information.

Missing this wonderful person...
...Patty

Thanks...

We will all miss our fellow diver:(

As with all accidents it takes many things to go wrong before something tragic happens. There was a post earlier that talked about second guessing. There are only three people who know what went into the planning. The reality is that a good plan does not guarantee a successful outcome. This is sad case of too many things happening, before the dive started, in a very short amount of time going wrong. Oh how I wish it had a better ending. The divers that we talked to over the few days we were in town there said nothing about how dangerous this site was only that it can be difficult to exit and how wonderful the site was. Whatever each of you think don't take the newspapers account to be the gospel they never ask me to comment on what happen and while their facts are close to the account they are far from complete. Their pictures are misleading.
All this really makes no difference. A good friend was lost. A long recovery has started and lessons have been learned, ones that cannot be taught in any class or textbook, at a extremely high cost. I will deeply miss my friend and Monterey dive partner.

Why use a boat when you can get to it from land?

Frankly if you have a boat wou wouldn't go here.. it's quite a ways away from any boat launch and there's a bunch of nice dive spots between the boat ramp and here

Understand, that's what I thought but had to ask..........being that we have to travel 40+ miles(one way) offshore here in SW Louisiana, I'm used to 'running' aways, can get quite 'scarry' from time to time in a 25' in 6-8 ft seas for over 60 miles.........again, sorry for the loss.........GEAUX TIGERS.............

Rest in Peace Edward. Ed's been my best friend for the past 12 yrs. He's done alot in the past few years. He used to be in IT and completely changed careers years ago when he fell in love with marine mammal training and scuba diving. He volunteered at the Monterey Aquarium for many years as an animal trainer as well as at the Moss Landing Marine Laboratories. Some of you have probably seen him in the penguin and otter exhibits at the aquarium. He also even worked down with the US Navy in San Diego's Marine Mammal Program Deep Sea Recovery System. He lived his life the way most people only dreamed of doing. He's also an avid motorcyclist, we've ridden to Yosemite a few times. Most of all he's my friend. It's a tragedy that this happened to my dear friend. My thoughts and prayers are for his wife and mom. May you see the depths of the ocean that nobody else has seen. Rest In Peace.

Also what the news article failed to mention is that this was a 3-day diving trip for them from Las Vegas. They've been diving since Wednesday December 26 at the same area. This was their last day of diving.

A buddy and I were going to do Lobos and/or breakwater on the 27th and called it off after looking at the sea from Monastary. Even after the two hour drive. I have to agree with Mryseal:
"gather weather, swell and site information from whatever resources are available".

I would add this reminds me that if one's out of practice making that decision because others (such as dive operators or other dive buddies) usually make it, it's a good time to get back in the practice. One can read the swell is this and the wind is that, but knowing what that means takes a little experience and I know it's out there.

This thread feels like an angel (or something) was tapping on my shoulder (w/ a 2x4??)

Condolences to the Edward's family and friends.

Rest in Peace Edward. Ed's been my best friend for the past 13 yrs. He's done alot in the past few years. He used to be in IT and completely changed careers years ago when he fell in love with marine mammal training and scuba diving. He volunteered at the Monterey Aquarium for many years as an animal trainer as well as the sea lion rescue center at Moss Landing. Some of you have probably seen him in the penguin and otter exhibits. He also even worked down with the US Navy in San Diego's Marine Mammal Program Deep Sea Recovery System. He lived his life the way most people only dreamed of doing. He's also an avid motorcyclist, we've ridden to Yosemite a few times. Most of all he's my friend. It's a tragedy that this happened to my dear friend. My thoughts and prayers for his wife and mom. May you see the depths of the ocean that nobody else has seen. Rest In Peace.

As with all accidents it takes many things to go wrong before something tragic happens. There was a post earlier that talked about second guessing. There are only three people who know what went into the planning. The reality is that a good plan does not guarantee a successful outcome. This is sad case of too many things happening, before the dive started, in a very short amount of time going wrong. Oh how I wish it had a better ending. The divers that we talked to over the few days we were in town there said nothing about how dangerous this site was only that it can be difficult to exit and how wonderful the site was. Whatever each of you think don't take the newspapers account to be the gospel they never ask me to comment on what happen and while their facts are close to the account they are far from complete. Their pictures are misleading.
All this really makes no difference. A good friend was lost. A long recovery has started and lessons have been learned, ones that cannot be taught in any class or textbook, at a extremely high cost. I will deeply miss my friend and Monterey dive partner.

I am very very sorry for your loss. I have been in your shoes, and it is a horrible thing to loose a friend to a sport you really love and enjoy. When something like this happens, It forever changes your own perspective on diving. Peace be with you, brother.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom