Diver dies at Monastery Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chuck,

Thanks for the link, I read it and am in complete sadness for the victims family. I now conclude that Monestary beach is extremely dangerous when those factors of weather and lack of knowledge of the beach come into play.

I just don't understand why an experienced diver like Diaz would attempt to enter those types of swells.

The only thing I can think about is motivation; this is speculation but flying in from Las Vegas eager to meet up with two other dive buddys and get some dives in before leaving back to Vegas becomes irresitable, they are not intimidated by the swells since they have dove this beach before. Thinking they can pass through the surf to get to beautiful deep water is like the syrens calling in the sailors in Greek mythologies.

I know what it's like to want to dive, I've been having an eager feeling to dive this weekend even though my dive buddy is out of town. Thats already one strike against my better judgement.

I think Mike probably got it right: "I'm in town and by gum I'm diving."

His OW instructor has posted over on ba_diving. He was trained here. This wasn't a new diver
to Monterey.

The best lesson I took away from OW class was the day we walked away from Monastery. And
"if you think MAYBE you shouldn't dive, DON'T."

This was not a day to dive Monastery.

Just wait there's going to be someone who will say "How dare we second guess his dive site choice"
just look at the Herald pictures and check out the whitewater in the background

So when you are assessing a dive site and you are the only people around are you thinking:

"Wow we have the whole beach to ourselves!"

or

"If I get in trouble will anyone hear my cries for help?":11:

That's why when we dive Monastery, we try to take multiple teams. There's someone to help you in that case.

Last time I dove Monastery I got my ass handed to me by a much smaller swell. I had one fin off (was working on the other) for the exit. I always leave my reg and mask in place for any beach exit that conditions warrant (or any boat exit). I saw the wave coming and I knew I couldn't do anything about it. So I tucked, covered my mask and reg with one hand and my belly and the video camera with the other.

I washed up nearly 6' onto the beach. And then I was stuck. Well, I could have shimmied out of my rig and lugged it up the beach, but my friends were there to provide a quick leg up...and I got up in my gear and up the beach.

If I was powerless against a swell less than half of what they were having yesterday...I shudder to think what could happen in tougher conditions.

My condolences to those involved.

One thing about Monastery (of a long list, I'm sure) is that if you get out of your car, and you can hear an ominous roar of the ocean-not individual waves, but just an overall loudness, you don't even have to walk over the berm. It's too big to dive.

By the look of those waves hitting the rocks, I'm sure it was too loud to dive.

I sometimes solo dive Monastery and the Big Sur coast. I wouldn't even THINK of attempting a dive like that.

So when you are assessing a dive site and you are the only people around are you thinking:

"Wow we have the whole beach to ourselves!"

or

"If I get in trouble will anyone hear my cries for help?":11:

Well thats usually the first clue that you might not want to get in the water... Any empty beach in Ca is empty for a reason....
So the guys never even made it past the shorebreak?
There have been times when I've driven hours to get to a dive site only to turn around and leave because of the conditions. Its just not worth it......

Dan brings up a very good point... You can hear the roar of the waves way before you can see it.... The mist also blows over the berm sometimes

Well thats usually the first clue that you might not want to get in the water... Any empty beach in Ca is empty for a reason....
So the guys never even made it past the shorebreak?
There have been times when I've driven hours to get to a dive site only to turn around and leave because of the conditions. Its just not worth it......

The shore break IS the nasty part at this beach. It's not like a typical SoCal beach where you just tuck your head down and walk through the surf. The break at this beach is maybe 20 yards offshore and can go from a flat ocean to a 4-6 foot roller with enough power to not only knock you down, but to roll you over and over, then deposit you on the "sand," only mugging you of half your gear if you're lucky. Then it shows you who's boss by slamming you with another wave just when you think you have it handled.

And the term "sand" is a term we use loosely. They're actually pebble sized grains that get everywhere and give you no traction when walking on them. Think of walking in deep, wet pea gravel and sinking up past your ankles, at least 100 yards back and forth from your car to the shore, in full scuba gear.

Other than that, it's a beautiful dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom