Diver Deaths-Palm Beach County

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SmileMon:
mmm... I've found out today that I know a very close relative of the family.

as far as I know, they don't dive and therefore won't understand what Kevin wrote.

It sounds too tragic for them to know, but if it were me I would have wanted to know the truth, do you think its a good idea to forward Kevin's recovery to them?
You might want to coordinate with someone else who posted yesterday, who seems to be a relative of the female victim.

jjung:
Hi,

I'm not a scuba diver but I came here to say that one of these divers is my cousin. She was just 32 and trying to rescue her boyfriend. The funeral is Thursday and her mom is burying her there in FL because she loved it there and loved the ocean.

But I do want to thank you all for your well wishes. Her mom and sister are holding up. There are still many conflicting stories about what exactly happened. But one thing is for sure - I don't think she wanted to survive if her boyfriend couldn't.

Kevin wrote a excellent report here, IMO. I think it would be a good idea to forward it onto the victim's families, framing that this was just the objective observation of the first party rescuer. Since no one survived UW witnessing the accident, all is speculation what actually happened to cause the tragedy. However my personal opinion, as there were 2 victims in close proximity, is that one tried in vain to help the other and likely lost their life doing so.

I've talked with one of the relative's friends, they said it would be too cruel to show them any report, I should leave it alone unless requested otherwise.

The male diver's funeral will be tomorrow at Gutterman's Funeral Home (New York) at 12:00PM, they said that if anyone here feels the need to attend, you can come.

They also said thank you for whoever was involved and sent their condolonces.

About sending details to families: Public service and law enforcement agencies have people trained to handle the delicate situation of breaking bad news and details to people. You divers may wish to let them do what they determine is appropriate.

Stu, you are right, dumpsterDiver made it clearer for me why I shouldn't.

supplying those details to the untrained eye will look horrible, won't make any sense and will cause just further confusion and sorrow, as much as people want to know the truth, they need to understand the truth.

Kevin ... thank you for sharing this with us. You are true profesional that is thinking of how he can help others.
I know that while you were typing it out, that It's impossible to not relive the feelings that you had during the recovery, impossible for you to not to imagine the tragic chain of events that led to this. It can't help but have an affect on you, and the others that were there with you. I hope you, and them will be OK

I do hope I get to dive with you someday Kev

DB

Doubtful, I'd expect the overpressure valve to go, but then it might have been jammed shut!

Kevin is often a funny guy here on the board and in person, but takes diving seriously...
riguerin:
Kev, you have conducted yourself with utmost professionalism under extremely difficult circumstances. You should be commended. While it is undoubtedly a difficult time for the families of the deceased, I'm sure this event has left an indelible impression on you as well. I hope you're holding up OK. Thanks for sharing, bro. Take care.
Kev, don't know how often you sit in on a Rescue Classroom session, but just in case - there is a section in the Padi book about Critical Incidence Stress and how best to deal with it - before it takes an effect or while. Take good care of yourself, buddy.

Excerpting....
Stu S.:
This happend a day after may daughter Ellen and I saw two under-equipped people head into Blue Springs, FL. They had to ask my kid, age 17, how to set up the gear. Their equipment was a mixture of old stuff, and Wal-Mart's latest. No wetsuits. I said a prayer for that duo.
I think you mentioned later that you mentioned the pair to the ranger - a prudent action.

I was at Sata Rosa NM's Blue Hole on a Friday morning a few weeks ago, packing up from my first Deco training dive, my Inst had already left, and really - there was no one else around for a mile when a van showed up. It looked like maybe he was going to dive the pit alone, so I started chatting with him. Young fellow with his mom and his son - said he used to dive when they owned a LDS in Oklahoma but hadn't in years. He'd borrowed some gear and a full tank - mentioned how the new style reg had two second stages so he and his son could both go down together. I politely suggested that was not a good idea for him to dive alone with strange equipment and no recent dives, and that the alternate second stage was not for his son, who had no business going down. They put the gear away, swam for a little while; I lingered and watched - thankful that they quickly had enough and were ready to leave.

I tend to meddle in other people affairs a bit much at times, but - I felt I should at least suggest they abort their dive plan before they even geared up. Had I not done so, and either of them were injured - I'd have felt bad. Reporting it to a ranger like Stu did would have been nice, but no one else was around.

I'm not sure what I would have done next if the young fellow had geared up and gone down. I think I would have phone my Inst, who was in town for the weekend with more full tanks, to see if he'd come back to help me prepare for possible needs, maybe call the small town police to come down? I didn't feel like eating lunch wondering about the ill prepared fellow, nor sitting and waiting alone if he dived.

First, thanks Kevin.

Second, I'd assume what Kevin shared with us is in the offical reports and thus is available to those who might be interested (e.g., family and friends) for the asking, and, as was pointed out, might be provided by someone trained to handle this kind of situation.

ekremer:
I mean how often do we REALLY inflate our BC's to their max?
Not trying to be a smart *****, but I do it before every dive.

I always inflate my BC to it's max before every dive, for two reasons. 1: to make sure that it holds air, and 2: to make sure that the overpressure release valve functions.

Terrible accident--hopefully someone will learn something from it and won't make the same mistake.

Back
Top Bottom