Diver Deaths-Palm Beach County

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So the float line had been cut and the dive float was not attached.

The man's BC was inoperable

The man's mouth piece apparently fell off his regulator.

The women apparently dropped her belt but it ended up becoming tangled in the float line.

The water was close to 76 degrees that day, kinda cold for no wetsuit at all.

They were apparently pulling a float line with a plastic handle rather than a small grappling hook as is commonly used in that area.

Lots of clues about the accident, but no answers to explain to me what happened.

Did the divers have knives or knife sheaths?

Scubakevdm:
This was a tragic event, and I can't imagine how the families must have suffered through this Easter.
I would like the opportunity to share what I found directly with the diving community, especially the instructors, because for me, this accident has underlined the responsibility I have to my students when I teach them diving. The reporting done by the press was not as accurate as I would have liked, but of all of the reporters and interviewers that came, only one was a diver and much was lost in translation. It is my hope that by by sharing this information future accidents might be pre-empted.
I was diving with a group from the boat I work on at the southern end of the Boynton Reef, at a spot we call "Clubhouse". Upon surfacing from our second dive the captain called me to the bridge and told me to set up for a body recovery, that two divers had been missing for a long time off a private boat. As I set up, the captain took us north to an area where there was a search in progress. A single fin had been found there. We discussed the specifics of the event with a PBSO deputy on the scene, then Lynn took us back south quite a ways. She set me up and started to zig zag across the inside of the reef at a depth of about 10'. Approximately five minutes into the search I located the bodies.
The male diver was seated on the reef, facing west, entangled with multiple wraps of 1/8" poly braided line, which is commonly used here for dive floats. A yellow plastic handle was attached at one end of the line, the other end was severed. The female was suspended, face up approximately six feet above him, with a single strand of line wrapped once around her tank valve. She had no regulator in her mouth, and her mask was on her forehead. She had no weight belt on, and was missing one fin. The male diver's second stage had no mouthpiece on it. I did not check to see if it was in his mouth. I tied in a marker buoy to the reef and surfaced to let the captain know that I had located the divers and get further instructions. I was directed to recover the bodies.
I descended again to the location and attempted to raise the divers by buoying the male's vest which was empty. I orally inflated the vest, however any air I blew in immediately leaked out of the left shoulder through a large hole directly behind the shoulder dump. The escaping bubbles drew my attention to the area, which appeared to have been repaired with some type of aqua seal. The repair did not recent, the glue was somewhat yellowed. I decided to use the lift of my own bcd, and grabbed hold of the males tank valve and inflated my vest. Even fully inflated, I had barely enough lift to pick him up off the bottom. I think my vest has 47 lbs of lift, its a SP classic plus if anyone wants to figure that out. I considered removing the diver's weight belt, and when I looked down at the release I noticed that there was another weight belt entangled in the poly line at the male diver's waist. It is my assumption that this was the female's belt. I decided not to disturb the gear for fear of messing up any investigation, and carried the diver up. Neither diver was wearing a wetsuit, and though I cannot venture a guess as to how much lead they had on between the two of them, I can say that it was very heavy. I surfaced with the bodies, and helped the coast guard take them aboard a small boat.
I haven't seen any of the news stories concerning this, but I have read some of the printed news. I was disturbed by the inaccuracy of the stories, and I feel that the dive community should have the facts. I know that I was deeply affected by the incident. I know that I teach now with much greater purpose because of it. My prayers are with the victims and their families.
Thank you, Kevin, for posting you first hand account of what you actually saw. Your professionalism in such a traumatic event is A+ IMO, including being able to recount with such great detail what you saw underwater.

The press is the press - often they don't get things right, not so much out of malice but perhaps something else.

There's posting on the other related thread earlier by a cousin of the female victim, she was evidently very much in love with the male victim.

Kevin - Thanks for sharing your story with the board. I have always appreciated being able to dive with you on a regular basis. Thanks

Kev, you have conducted yourself with utmost professionalism under extremely difficult circumstances. You should be commended. While it is undoubtedly a difficult time for the families of the deceased, I'm sure this event has left an indelible impression on you as well. I hope you're holding up OK. Thanks for sharing, bro. Take care.

Kevin,

Thank you for sharing this sad story with us. I respect you greatly for the actions you took to recover the body, while still collecting evidence as to what lead to the deaths of these divers.

The account you have given certainly give clues as to what happened, but more importantly it give us as divers food for thought concerning aspects of our own gear configuration, gear condition and our attitudes towards our safety and that of other divers.

I pray that you will recover from this tragedy and I salute your resolve to pass the lessons you have learnt on to your students.

I wish, too, to pass my sincerest condolences on to the family and friends of the divers that were lost. May you find peace in this tragic loss.

With best wishes,

Andrew

Kevin, Thank You!!!!! For being there for your Dive Community. We get alot of training but this is what it looks like when its time to really use it. It is good that you are able to share this terrible experience with the rest of us because it gives us a chance to think about and reflect on how we might handle the same situation. I am sorry at this expense. We all love scuba so much but at the same time it must be respected, that is what the basics are there for. I just wish for all of us in these forums to remember that no matter what level you are or how many dives you've logged when we deviate from what were taught in the beginning it opens the door for some really bad things happening! Thanks Again!!!!!

I have read some of the printed news. I was disturbed by the inaccuracy of the stories

This seems to be a universal problem. I have had same experience with a couple of situations that were written up in the papes where I had either first hand or second hand knowledge of the "facts".

Stu S.:
That's my new motto: "If you don't know, it's better that you don't dive".

I was in the latrine when this guy asked my dughter how to set up his tank. She told him that the o-ring faces your head. We mentioned this at the State Park guard house on the way out. The lady ranger said she might send a man down to meet them before they got in. Fortunately, these was no similar bad news from Orange City, FL in Saturday's paper.

My heart goes out to families of those who passed on.

WHY DOES EVERYONE ASSUME THAT THEY WERE INEXPERIENCED???? The lady was able to go up and summon for help - AND she went down to help her buddy (overreaction according to diving principles, but who wouldn't do the same)... That means that at least she was able to fight the current. The only mention of inexperience is in the description of the substitute skipper... So based on that, their most glaring mistake is diving without adequate topside assistance...

PAdiver93:
WHY DOES EVERYONE ASSUME THAT THEY WERE INEXPERIENCED???? .....

Pretty self evident bud.

PAdiver93:
WHY DOES EVERYONE ASSUME THAT THEY WERE INEXPERIENCED???? The lady was able to go up and summon for help - AND she went down to help her buddy (overreaction according to diving principles, but who wouldn't do the same)... That means that at least she was able to fight the current. The only mention of inexperience is in the description of the substitute skipper... So based on that, their most glaring mistake is diving without adequate topside assistance...

Where do you infer this from? She was entangled in the line, and her mask was on her forehead. That means she was on the surface, in obvious panic, and was pulled down by her buddy, because of the entanglement. There is no possible inference that she was attempting to make a rescue. If she was attempting a rescue, she wouldn't have her mask on her forehead right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom