Diver Deaths by Agency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

james croft:
I have dozens of c-cards from various agencies. Who would get the blame?
PADI of course.
Next question...
Rick :D

Stephen Ash:
I didn't know that you took a GUE class.

RonFrank:
75% of statistics are made up on the spot, and the rest are inaccurate and misleading! :mooner:

Three out of four people make up 75% of the US population.

RJP:
Three out of four people make up 75% of the US population.

Finally... something I can understand.

I think the blame should go to the diver themselves, not the agency. It is because of the diver's health or mental state that caused them to die. My aunt who scuba dive years ago died was not because she was PADI but because she panic underwater in Pt. Lobos in 2004. I took classes in both NAUI and PADI and all of them are very careful in making sure divers play it safe. Had she followed proper procedure on how to untangle in kelp, she would have been alive. Anyways, thats my 2 cent opinion.

Thanks for all of the responses, but I didn't think that this data is readily accessible. Someone did make a good point that the insurance companies most likely would have this data. I agree, and am pretty sure that DAN does as well. This information would be the Holy Grail of retail SCUBA marketing, without a doubt.

As far as some agencies having more students than others, that data can be easily compiled by percentages. And as for which agency would "get the blame" in cases of multiple agency certifications, I would think that it would be the agency that issued the OW. For mulitple OW certs, the most recent.

...But this is all moot, for we can't get this data.

It wasn't anyone affiliated with a dive shop that made this statement, but his agency does train divers. I manage a dive shop, so his comment was an attempt to engage in an arguement. My exact reply was, "That is a bold-assed statement. I'd like to see the numbers on that."

Anyway, thanks to all for the participation and the ideas.

BKP:
Whew... talk about a can of worms...

Next would be:

-Death by regulator brand
-Death by full moon cycle
-Death by paddles or splits :wink:

IIRC, DAN has been publishing numbers that infer the risk by gender.

-hh

Perhaps the relevant question is, as it always has been, how safe is diving in general and how many deaths can be directly linked to poor training. Documented diver deaths include drowning, whether it be from a heart attack or running out of air. Diving, IMHO, is a very safe sport.

Back
Top Bottom