Diver Death in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even just driving the boat correctly (to an appropriate site) would have prevented this death, unless it turns out that the diver was hell-bent on "going deep".

Terry

Since there is insufficient information due to the divers death, we will never know. I actually do agree with you (and PF as scary as that is :D) but I do not always do well with some of the generalized statements that cover too much ground.

Does this help? Is this enough gravity,Dtaine?

Does this help you form a better opinion?

I've read ALL of the posts, that's right, all of them.

All you've done is prove you didn't read all the posts, which means in my book your posts hold less gravity now then they did before you proved it.

Pilot Fish

Please show me the post where OP changed what she orignally said, that DM was buddy of deceased?:confused:

2. The DM took the rest of the divers as a group. No one knew anyone at that point we were all new to each other except the married couple from San Diego and I don't know if they did buddy checks or not. They were part of the DM's group. Key word GROUP.

My OW Check-out dives were in a cavern.
My first post OW dive was Solo off the Florida coast.
I routinely dive on a 175' deep vertical wall every other weekend in the summer.

None of this really matters, but I want you to know there is a vast range of diving experience in this thread. Don't be so quick to paint all divers the same.

It's sad to see posts like this here. It sends the wrong message to folks coming in here to learn about diving.

My guess is, and correct me if I'm wrong JCAT, that your OW checkout dives were at Ginnie Springs and what you meant to say was that as a graduation dive, after being signed off on all skills and thus being certified, your OW instructor took you on a guided tour of the Ginnie Ballroom. If you actually did skills in the overhead or were taken in there prior to being certified, please PM me with your OW Instructors name.

Hundreds, if not thousands have done their check-out dives at this location and yes, it has an overhead.

I usually don't do PADI OW classes there because the area of the spring that's outside of the overhead enviornment has a max depth of 12 ft. PADI requires a dive to be at least 15 ft to count as a dive. Any dives done in Ginnie Open are NOT logable under PADI standards and so don't count towards a students certification.

Your first dive after training was a solo dive. Not a problem if you actually took the time to research how to do it safely. Did you figure out that you need a redundant gas source or did you stay within a depth that would let your do a Controlled Emergency Swimming Ascent (CESA)? Have you actually practiced CESA's from that depth?

175 feet deep. Not a problem if you're trained for it. But if you haven't done the training and haven't read up on the subject, your playing Russian Roulette. Most Nitrogen Narcosis problems don't show up until the day you have to struggle or over exert to do something, say swim against a strong current or free yourself for an entrapment. Breathing heavily greatly exacerbates the effects of Nitrogen Narcosis!

On the other hand you may just be a virtual diver, like so many on the internet -ie- all you dives done in cyberspace.

Either way, for all the folks on here looking for accurate information I would take what this diver says with a grain of salt.

Cavern Diving can be safe... Solo diving can be safe... Deep diving can be safe.

BUT NOT WITHOUT THE APPROPRIATE TRAINING!

Be safe and have fun in the water! Bruce

Last edited:
OMG.. There were no known buddies at 100'. They were in a group, not in buddy pairs. That was established a while back!!

This is getting childish. Yes I said childish, I'm qualified, I have 2 of them.

Regards
Richard

Are you saying this is a suitable site for a brand new diver? You don't think THAT is unwise?

Hundreds, if not thousands have done their check-out dives at this location and yes, it has an overhead.

Since you are shocked by this, perhaps you will begin to understand that rushing to judgment based on your experience alone is sometimes not wise.
Nothing personal against you, but you gotta look at things from ALL sides, even the ones you don't like.

cheers

Did you read this?

I've read the whole thread. And since you don't quote what post that was from, I can only assume that that post was from the initial, emotial, phase of the OP's posts. She's later come and clarified many things, including the buddy arrangements.

I'll also mention that the first post you used to bolster this argument she said the deceased was "with" the DM and was not her buddy. That's open to interpretation and is consistent with one mob group and one buddy pair (her and the fiance).

This is getting childish. Yes I said childish, I'm qualified, I have 2 of them.

Not aimed at the poster of the quote

Pathetic is what this has become. I think we have some pretty darned OBTUSE people here now who are just being difficult because they are not being supported. Things have been said, corrected and then re-pointed out many times. Move on from the FIRST things that was stated and start paying attention to the many times things have been corrected.

What a waste of time this has become. Those that say they have an interest in getting something from this thread obviously do not and now just want to pick fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom