Diver Death in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well now that is a stretch. If you maintain a person on the boat, they do not necessarily need to be a DM, but they need to know how to operate a bopat safely, how to perform a surface rescue as well as many other things such as perform CPR, administer O2 etc.).

This is from the Caymanian Press about someone being onboard a boat as a "look out" There is a lot more to the article. This is only a part of it. Steve Broadbelt also owns Oceans Frontier's Dive op in the Cayman's

A regulation under the Port Authority Law states: "At least one person shall remain on board and act as lookout on any diveËÃoat or other vessel whilst divers therefrom are down."

CITA Watersports Chairman Stephen Broadbelt said in an emailed statement to the Caymanian Compass: "This regulation had remained dormant for decades and for good reason."

However, now that enforcement on this regulation has come about recently, Mr. Broadbelt said the CITA watersports committee believes the policy could do more harm than good for a number of reasons. One is because the expense of hiring an extra staff member as "lookËÐut" could put some operators out of business. And he believes that those that don't hire extra staff will sacrifice inËØater supervision, especially on wall dives, in order to have a lookËÐut.

"We believe that requiring a lookËÐut on board without overhauling the existing regulations, will, in fact, decrease safety for visiting scuba divers," said Mr. Broadbelt.

He feels this would be especially true on a deep dive, when dive instructors accompany divers over the wall and a dive that more inexperienced divers are more likely to have problems with.

Well now that is a stretch. If you maintain a person on the boat, they do not necessarily need to be a DM, but they need to know how to operate a bopat safely, how to perform a surface rescue as well as many other things such as perform CPR, administer O2 etc.).

This is from the Caymanian Press about someone being onboard a boat as a "look out" There is a lot more to the article. This is only a part of it. Steve Broadbelt also owns Oceans Frontier's Dive op in the Cayman's

A regulation under the Port Authority Law states: "At least one person shall remain on board and act as lookout on any diveËÃoat or other vessel whilst divers therefrom are down."

CITA Watersports Chairman Stephen Broadbelt said in an emailed statement to the Caymanian Compass: "This regulation had remained dormant for decades and for good reason."

However, now that enforcement on this regulation has come about recently, Mr. Broadbelt said the CITA watersports committee believes the policy could do more harm than good for a number of reasons. One is because the expense of hiring an extra staff member as "lookËÐut" could put some operators out of business. And he believes that those that don't hire extra staff will sacrifice inËØater supervision, especially on wall dives, in order to have a lookËÐut.

"We believe that requiring a lookËÐut on board without overhauling the existing regulations, will, in fact, decrease safety for visiting scuba divers," said Mr. Broadbelt.

He feels this would be especially true on a deep dive, when dive instructors accompany divers over the wall and a dive that more inexperienced divers are more likely to have problems with.

I am familiar with this ******* and I cannot even stand hearing his name.

I am familiar with this ******* and I cannot even stand hearing his name.

This is a point I have been trying to make all along. Thank you!!

I know this is stressful for you but could you do the board, and me, a favor and tell us, did the deceased think he was buddied with DM and did he and DM agree to that arrangement? There is some confusion in this area. Thank

S4416091:

I know this is stressful for you but could you do the board, and me, a favor and tell us, did the deceased think he was buddied with DM and did he and DM agree to that arrangement? There is some confusion in this area. Thank you

PiFi, can you do me the favor of please telling me what Jesus thought as he was being crucified?

How can she KNOW what he thought?

I know this is stressful for you but could you do the board, and me, a favor and tell us, did the deceased think he was buddied with DM and did he and DM agree to that arrangement? There is some confusion in this area. Thank you

I am guessing this was directed to the OP.

I know this is stressful for you but could you do the board, and me, a favor and tell us, did the deceased think he was buddied with DM and did he and DM agree to that arrangement? There is some confusion in this area. Thank

PF, Are you asking me if the Deceased was buddied up with the DM? If so. No he was in a group dive. Everyone I would say was the DM's buddy. If you want to get technical except Pam and myself we buddied ourselves up.

Thanks for this.

This attitude of profits over safety is what I think really has so many people bothered here. In my training, I immediately noticed a contradiction when the shop owner was telling me how safe diving is, but at the same time urging me to sign up with DAN and purchase dive insurance. If it's so safe, why would you need special insurance? Thankfully my OW instructor was honest with me (but then he is a GUE fundies instructor also) and explained things in ways that made me understand that if I do something stupid, the price can be very high.

I think that's really the underlying thing that bothers me about everything here. Too many in the industry are more concerned about profits than they are about taking care of their customers. I see it in my own (completely non diving related) business all the time. While the majority of those in the industry are GREAT, it's the few who don't care and are willing to take shortcuts to save a couple of bucks that really, really bother me. It's sad in any industry but especially so in diving because we enjoy it so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom