Diver Death in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first buddies were also just as inexperienced. The OP also stated that the DM asked her "where's your buddy?" and was leading the GROUP, so no, I don't think the DM was his buddy. See the quote below.

So how much have you been paying attention pilot fish, really?

Are you trying to pick a fight?

Actually, I gave my honest opinion onto whether or not it was fraud, and stated that the level of care a divemaster has towards a new diver depends on what that diver and the dive op work out before the dive.

Those are answers.
probably
What is going on here is that alot of people's beliefs and ideas of diving have been shaken to the core. They are having to face that they are not as safe as they thought they were and it is scaring the crap out of them. What info they generally get in training as OW divers is turning out to be seriously lacking and that also is giving them cause to doubt. Which it should. I'll address this later as I'm at work now but as to the question as to what should you EXPECT from a DM? Short answer- NOTHING! What should you confirm is their role? That depends. And that's what I'll address later because it varies by region, agency, resort, or operation.

Holy crap, wait a minute, I am a going to get the police, someone was wrong on the INTERNET!!!!!

especially if the DM and newbie are buddies, as stated by OP?:confused:

Please stop saying this. The OP has come back in the last couple of days and said the other divers were diving as a group. The deceased appears to have been no more the DM's buddy than the minor was the DM's buddy or the couple was the DM's buddy.

Please stop saying this. The OP has come back in the last couple of days and said the other divers were diving as a group. The deceased appears to have been no more the DM's buddy than the minor was the DM's buddy or the couple was the DM's buddy.

Wait .... Vondo, are you qualified to make a statement like this? Are you a pro? How many dives do you have? How many agencies have you trained with ? How many countries have you dived in? How deep have you dived? Does your earlobe sometimes itch just a little?

Well, since you are THAT inexperienced,That is very honest, is it safe to say you might need some more dive experience before you can answer any of this with a reasonable degree of accuracy?

Just to add, since you haven't filled out your own profile, you really ought not to try to play the experience card. Especially when your posts have their own blatant inaccuracies.

Because in that scenario he was left on the boat.

Even just driving the boat correctly (to an appropriate site) would have prevented this death, unless it turns out that the diver was hell-bent on "going deep".

Terry

Please show me the post where OP changed what she orignally said, that DM was buddy of deceased?:confused:

I'll point it out again, the OP stated that the DM led the divers as a group. That does not mean the DM and the diver were buddies.

And this is why people feel your posts lack gravity.

Please show me the post where OP changed what she orignally said, that DM was buddy of deceased?:confused:

I already quoted it twice in the last few pages. I knew you weren't paying attention.

Third time's a charm I guess.

The DM took the rest of the divers as a group. No one knew anyone at that point we were all new to each other except the married couple from San Diego and I don't know if they did buddy checks or not. They were part of the DM's group. Key word GROUP.

Yes I was on the dive, he was not my dive buddy he was suppose to be with the DM! OP

Does this help? Is this enough gravity,Dtaine?

I'll point it out again, the OP stated that the DM led the divers as a group. That does not mean the DM and the diver were buddies.

And this is why people feel your posts lack gravity.

This DM was unprofessional from the start. Telling jokes, dancing, not doing a safety breifing. Knowing that he was a new diver. Not budding people up. Not do checks on air, No OK signs at all just taking off and leaving everyone to defend for themselves. One minor that hadn't had a dive in a year. We all told him of our experience. A DM's responsibility is to guide us on a dive point out cool stuff and make sure we are safe and get back to the boat, end of story and if you can't do that then you shouldn't be a DM either! OP

Does this help you form a better opinion?

With an overhead? Who recommended that dive site? Does any of this sound a bit wreckless to anyone for a brand new diver?:confused:

Hundreds, if not thousands have done their check-out dives at this location and yes, it has an overhead.

Since you are shocked by this, perhaps you will begin to understand that rushing to judgment based on your experience alone is sometimes not wise.

Nothing personal against you, but you gotta look at things from ALL sides, even the ones you don't like.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom