Diver Death in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
CDs on the same train of thought as I am. Narced out I'd expect him to get a bit behind on his EQ.

Thanks Thal and CD. When I was thinking about the autopsy, I was thinking just a gross examination of major organs, CNS, toxicology screen, etc., and had completely forgotten about something as obvious in a diving accident as whether the eardrums are intact.

fosterboxermom: Apologies if this gets a little morbid. I think this kind of info could be helpful, but again, might not give any more clues at all.

Best wishes.

I agree. The density, the pressure, the whole feel of the water is different at 200 ft than at 100 ft, I'm told. You can make a mistake and sink an additional 50 ft or so but to go down an additional 250 ft? I don't think so. Keep in mind that it was a slopping reef, not a hard bottom, so it is very possible he bounced downward, along the slopping reef? He still had his camera at the surface and still had his weights. Bizzare.

With all due respect.... I don't think you could get to 300ft without realizing tht something was terribly wrong.

At about 165 I can "hear" that I'm pretty darned deep.... I don't know if you can follow that but anyone who has dived at those depths on air knows what I mean. I've been to a little over 200 on air and was thoroughly bonked.

If you ask me there's no way you could get to 300 by accident without being well aware that you had landed in a sh.t storm from here to Tokyo.

R..

It's foolish to dive without some form of cutting device that is capable of cutting fishing line. I have a small, blunt ended knife that is screwed horizontally to my bc about 5" long. Men strapping long, pointed knives to thier calf is all for show and totally unnecessaty. Testosterone. :eyebrow:They sell a pair of lightweight shears at teeh dive shop that is capable of cutting a penny in half and it will fit nicely in your bc pocket.

Thank you, but it still looks like I have to strap it to either my arm or leg. Right?

:confused: They can tell if it ruptured on the way down or up? How's that possible?

I'm thinking that he meant to use it as a way of determining something about the ascent/descent in lieu of the profile off the dive computer.

Depending on how the ear drum ruptured and the condition of the tubes might reveal at what point the damage occurred and shed light on whether the diver was concious and in control.

This is of course pure speculation on my part as to his intent, and I could be totally off base in the way I read it.

:confused: They can tell if it ruptured on the way down or up? How's that possible?

Well, I'm not M.E. but I would think they might be able to get clues from the amount of trauma present on the inner/outer ear as to whether the injury occured on ascent or descent.

I'm not a doc either but that sounds like it would be beyond the capabilites of an examination?

Well, I'm not M.E. but I would think they might be able to get clues from the amount of trauma present on the inner/outer ear as to whether the injury occured on ascent or descent.

I'm not a doc either but that sounds like it would be beyond the capabilites of an examination?

Nah. I've watched CSI. They could probably even tell what brand of Q-tip was used last.

One would think that the damage from a compression injury would differ from the damage caused by a decompression injury, inward vs outward failure...

I wonder if an autopsy could differentiate directional damage.

Best Regards
Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom