Diver Death in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect.... I don't think you could get to 300ft without realizing tht something was terribly wrong.

Probably not, but say you're a brand spankin' new diver, who may be task loaded with some equipment fussing and narced. Who knows? It's all speculative, but the fact remains that if the computer was reading depth accurately, he got to depth and got back with all his equipment intact. Given the ascent rate, I doubt he kicked up.

Despite the effects of heavy narcosis, my personal experience was that you do have "moments of clarity".

Exactly. It's like when you're having a good time at the bar and look down at your watch and realize it's 12AM and you were supposed to meet the Mrs. for dinner. Instantaneous (temporary) 'sobriety'.

Probably not, but say you're a brand spankin' new diver, who may be task loaded with some equipment fussing and narced. Who knows? It's all speculative, but the fact remains that if the computer was reading depth accurately, he got to depth and got back with all his equipment intact. Given the ascent rate, I doubt he kicked up.

Yeah, fair enough, for LeadTurn_SD too.

R..

I understand that. But I have never come across any of that. Again maybe I have been lucky. I would love to see a poll done on the use of knives just for the Caribbean and Mexico. How many have ever used it for entanglement? I would think of all the thousands of divers that dive everyday in the most popular spots there aren't many nets or fishing lines unless it is after a storm. Just guessing. I actually haven't seen any in the places I have been diving. Maybe they have been cleaned up before I got there by other divers??? I am not against knives at all just don't want to carry something extra I don't need. However, there could be the one in a million time that I need it. But then again you could do that with every piece of equipment there is out there like "spare air". Is that necessary? Now remember this is just a woman's opinion. I know men think differently than I do. I do value your opinions and I will consider it if I can find one that is small and I can carry it without strapping it to my leg and looking like Zena Warrior Princess.

Add that to the diving naked, and I think you have something.

What where the condition of his ear drums and the mucus membranes around his Eustachian canals? See this is where access to a competent autopsy might help.

Thal:

Are you thinking an eardrum rupture on descent followed by vertigo as a possible contributing cause of the accident?

Or damage on ascent (due to a rapid ascent)? Would the inner ear just self-equalize on a rapid ascent? I honestly don't know if it would or wouldn't.

Thanks.

Best wishes.

I understand that. But I have never come across any of that. Again maybe I have been lucky. I would love to see a poll done on the use of knives just for the Caribbean and Mexico. How many have ever used it for entanglement? I would think of all the thousands of divers that dive everyday in the most popular spots there aren't many nets or fishing lines unless it is after a storm. Just guessing. I actually haven't seen any in the places I have been diving. Maybe they have been cleaned up before I got there by other divers??? I am not against knives at all just don't want to carry something extra I don't need. However, there could be the one in a million time that I need it. But then again you could do that with every piece of equipment there is out there like "spare air". Is that necessary? Now remember this is just a woman's opinion. I know men think differently than I do. I do value your opinions and I will consider it if I can find one that is small and I can carry it without strapping it to my leg and looking like Zena Warrior Princess.

Here's a picture of my wife. See the knofe on her inflator hose?

1214139310_Vase-sponge-_-Diver.jpg

Thal:

Are you thinking a rupture on descent followed by vertigo as a possible contributing cause?

Or damage on ascent (due to a rapid ascent)? Would the inner ear just self-equalize on a rapid ascent? I'm honestly don't know if it would or wouldn't.

Thanks.

Best wishes.

I'm thinking that he meant to use it as a way of determining something about the ascent/descent in lieu of the profile off the dive computer.

Depending on how the ear drum ruptured and the condition of the tubes might reveal at what point the damage occurred and shed light on whether the diver was concious and in control.

This is of course pure speculation on my part as to his intent, and I could be totally off base in the way I read it.

The Australian diving accident is on Dateline now. Eastern Standard time.

Here's a picture of my wife. See the knofe on her inflator hose?

1214139310_Vase-sponge-_-Diver.jpg

Beautiful picture!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom