Diver Death in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there BC's that you can conceal a knife? And I have only seen BIG knives so I don't want something so cumbersome on me. I wouldn't feel comfortable if I have to strap something to my leg. I can't even take wearing booties. One reason I quit diving in CA when I lived there was all the crap you had to wear to gear up. It sucked. Especially when it was 90 degrees outside.

any BC with a pocket

:worthless:

I said I would if I could. I don't have pics of diving naked. And if I did, I am sure the Mod would kick me off for posting those!:blinking:

any BC with a pocket

Only a 3inch zipper pocket on the cumberbun of the BC. My BC is a Dacor (Flyte) it is meant to be able to pack in a suitcase. It really doesn't though. But I am stuck with it for a while now. It is also integrated for weights.

When my wife and I learned to dive (Maldives) the use of computers was mandatory. Even the 10 post training dives we did, had to be done with computers.

Am I right in saying that there were only 2/7 divers on this excursion with computers? That seems like a low proportion.

Best Regards
Richard

When my wife and I learned to dive (Maldives) the use of computers was mandatory. Even the 10 post training dives we did, had to be done with computers.

Am I right in saying that there were only 2/7 divers on this excursion with computers? That seems like a low proportion.

Best Regards
Richard

Yes, Brendan and the DM. I had one years ago and found that I didn't like it. It got outdated and so I didn't replace it. I figured that they would be like any other computer there are always going to be new and better ones coming out. They are expensive and the diving that I do I feel I really don't need one. And by the diving that I do I mean, I don't dive past 60-70' ft max and two tanks in a day. I know my tables and 95% of my dives are on a dive boat with a dive op and a DM we all go in together and we all surface together. However, on the fatal dive, I did ask Matthew/DM if Pam and I could have 10 extra minutes to look around under the boat because we weren't going to 100ft and we could have more bottom time. Matthew had a hare time understanding that. I told him I would watch my depth gauge and watch and at the safety line he could look at my depth gauge and if I went below 60 ft we would surface with the group, he finally agreed. But it took a while for him to understand how I could do this without a computer.

nah, we discussed that already. He would not have had the presence of mind to do that, he would be very impaired, and why would he not have done that at 200 ft, 250 ft? Puzzling.

That's not necessarily true.

Maybe he was bumbling along, not paying attention to anything (due to the narc), finally looked at his gauge at 300 feet, and hit the button.

Sometimes a shocking bit of information will make you snap to, at least temporarily.

edit: I see Riger already posted a similar theory.

Last edited:
That's not necessarily true.

Maybe he was bumbling along, not paying attention to anything (due to the narc), finally looked at his gauge at 300 feet, and hit the button.

Sometimes a shocking bit of information will make you snap to, at least temporarily.

edit: I see Riger already posted a similar theory.

And that is a speculation that we have given great consideration to because of the fact that he had air in his BC and he shot to the surface in what I was told 2 minutes.

There are places that knifes are needed like CA with all the kelp. But I again I can say with all the diving I have done and maybe I have been lucky. I have never needed a knife.

Anywhere that you may come across entanglements, be they environmental (like kelp) or man made (like nets and fishing line), a cutting tool is requisite equipment (IMO).

Not trying to be callous, but any word on the autopsy? Given the description of the profile, I'm guessing AGE was at least a contributing factor, if not the cause of death.

Anywhere that you may come across entanglements, be they environmental (like kelp) or man made (like nets and fishing line), a cutting tool is requisite equipment (IMO).

I understand that. But I have never come across any of that. Again maybe I have been lucky. I would love to see a poll done on the use of knives just for the Caribbean and Mexico. How many have ever used it for entanglement? I would think of all the thousands of divers that dive everyday in the most popular spots there aren't many nets or fishing lines unless it is after a storm. Just guessing. I actually haven't seen any in the places I have been diving. Maybe they have been cleaned up before I got there by other divers??? I am not against knives at all just don't want to carry something extra I don't need. However, there could be the one in a million time that I need it. But then again you could do that with every piece of equipment there is out there like "spare air". Is that necessary? Now remember this is just a woman's opinion. I know men think differently than I do. I do value your opinions and I will consider it if I can find one that is small and I can carry it without strapping it to my leg and looking like Zena Warrior Princess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom