Diver Death in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way this man should have had a camera on his first dive post cert:shakehead:.

True, but this is a whole new discussion. He only had one pic on the camera on the fatal dive. It was at the beginning of the dive when he got down to the bottom and after he did his OK signs to everyone. He then took one pic.

I know especially men (and I am not man bashing) when they get into a new sport and go into a store and see all the "toys" they can have it is hard for them to resist buying everything. I'll bet donuts to dollars men have way more equipment and accessories than they NEED than women do. However, I can reverse that and say Women have more Shoes than we NEED. But back to my point. You can't blame Brendan for having a computer, camera, new dive equipment, accessories hanging off of clips, etc. It's the industry that sells you these things as well and tells you that you NEED them to enjoy yourself and you DESERVE them. Why not!!

I am to the extreme. I have slip on fins, no booties, a shaker stick, small dive light, and that is it, besides my BC, and mask. I want in the water as soon as I can. I don't want to be messing with a bunch of junk I don't need or want. I see divers with gloves in warm water, knifes, etc. not necessary. I know some will disagree but I have never seen anyone ever use their knife in the water and gloves just make it easier for people to want to touch things.

True, but this is a whole new discussion. He only had one pic on the camera on the fatal dive. It was at the beginning of the dive when he got down to the bottom and after he did his OK signs to everyone. He then took one pic.

I know especially men (and I am not man bashing) when they get into a new sport and go into a store and see all the "toys" they can have it is hard for them to resist buying everything. I'll bet donuts to dollars men have way more equipment and accessories than they NEED than women do. However, I can reverse that and say Women have more Shoes than we NEED. But back to my point. You can't blame Brendan for having a computer, camera, new dive equipment, accessories hanging off of clips, etc. It's the industry that sells you these things as well and tells you that you NEED them to enjoy yourself and you DESERVE them. Why not!!

I am to the extreme. I have slip on fins, no booties, a shaker stick, small dive light, and that is it, besides my BC, and mask. I want in the water as soon as I can. I don't want to be messing with a bunch of junk I don't need or want. I see divers with gloves in warm water, knifes, etc. not necessary. I know some will disagree but I have never seen anyone ever use their knife in the water and gloves just make it easier for people to want to touch things.

Hey, I wear gloves and carry a knife. What are you saying? :D

I wear gloves when I dive with my camera as the grips tend to be a bit rough. As to the knife (I actually carry 2) I dive a lot where entanglements are quite possible.

I have seen too many divers (most of them friends) try to learn a new BC, or computer, or camera & housing while on a dive trip. I always try out new gear or camera equipment on local easy dives before I concider using them on a trip. Vacation dives are always information overloads without adding new gear.

Then again, I am fortunate to live in south Florida where I can dive year round.

I know some will disagree but I have never seen anyone ever use their knife in the water and gloves just make it easier for people to want to touch things.

Completely OT, but I will say that everybody needs a cutting tool. It doesn't have to be a knife (shears work well), but not having a cutting tool can be fatal if you run across abandoned net or line.

Terry

Fisheye, To each-es own. I feel it shouldn't be held against Brendan for having a camera because he was a new diver. That's all. I just prefer not to hassle with a lot of extra stuff (personal preference) And it had nothing to do with his death. The pics on his camera show he had one on it and it was at the beginning of the dive only. Knives, I don't know, do you ever use them and for what? Usually where I dive there isn't a need for them. I try to be very cautious of the ocean and not touch anything. You know the whole thing.....leave only bubbles.

There are places that knifes are needed like CA with all the kelp. But I again I can say with all the diving I have done and maybe I have been lucky. I have never needed a knife.

Again, I see Knives mostly on men then I do on women. I don't know why.

Fisheye, To each-es own. I feel it shouldn't be held against Brendan for having a camera because he was a new diver. That's all. I just prefer not to hassle with a lot of extra stuff (personal preference) And it had nothing to do with his death. The pics on his camera show he had one on it and it was at the beginning of the dive only. Knives, I don't know, do you ever use them and for what? Usually where I dive there isn't a need for them. I try to be very cautious of the ocean and not touch anything. You know the whole thing.....leave only bubbles.

I am not imlying that the camera was a factor in the accident. I think you are right in your view that less is better when ever possible.

As to my knife, I use it quite a bit. I dive a lot in the intercoastal waterway locally where there is always a bunch of people fishing off the bridge. There is always a good chance of entanlement in fishing line.

I carry two knives to cut line. They are small with blunt tips. I don't carry them as a weapon. They are difinately not like the US Divers knives I used to carry in teh 70's that were like machettes.

Hey, I wear gloves and carry a knife. What are you saying? :D

I wear gloves when I dive with my camera as the grips tend to be a bit rough. As to the knife (I actually carry 2) I dive a lot where entanglements are quite possible.

Hey, If I could dive naked I would. Probably not safe but a lot more comfortable.:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom