Diver death at Morrison's Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sad news for the diving community...

The quarry is still completely iced over.

The man was not snorkeling, but was diving.

Please... People... Never dive in overhead, with a single tank, if not tethered... and stick with your buddies.

(I was not there, but have been informed by friends)

i see lines on the deck but no reels etc. i just finished teaching an ice diver /tender course i stressed it should never be done without lines to the surface ..............very sad but probably preventable accident

just spoke to one of the divers (instructor) who recovered the body , as thought no redundancy , no lines ,

Last edited:
There is a article in the Ottawa sun that came out with the person name. Police believe that he panic and ran out of air. So sad....

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/03/24/quebec-police-id-man-who-died-in-diving-accident

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/03/24/quebec-police-id-man-who-died-in-diving-accident

Quebec police ID man who died in diving accident

A 53-year-old Gatineau man who died at a Chelsea quarry Sunday was an inexperienced diver who police believe panicked and likely ran out of air.
MRC Des Collines de L'Outaouais police identified Marco Laplante as the man who died at the renowned Morrison Quarry. Laplante was among friends, and one of several divers at the quarry that afternoon.
Police said Monday their initial findings suggest inexperience likely played a role. Laplante had only obtained his general certification less than a year ago, and Sunday marked his first dive under the ice this year.
Police said their investigation suggests Laplante likely had a moment of panic, with the most plausible explanation that he simply ran out of oxygen.
An instructor who was with the group in training made an emergency dive and quickly found the body, at around 12:30 p.m.
Despite several resuscitation attempts, he was pronounced dead at hospital.
Police say an autopsy will be performed this week at the Laboratory of Forensic Science and Medicine in Montreal, in order to establish the exact cause of death. There, the equipment Laplante used will also be examined.

Interesting that he was recovered by an "Instructor"... I wonder if this was a course...

Poor taste in what sense?

Just a comment about my "Like" Dan... Your information was helpful in clarifying what was going on...

Sorry for not being more clear! :)

Interesting that he was recovered by an "Instructor"... I wonder if this was a course...

The three divers were not part of a course. They were diving independently. It just so happened there was an ice diving course going on at the same time. The students for the course hadn't even got in the water by the time the accident happened. Quite an intro to ice diving. It turned out they were firefighters and they were the ones doing the CPR on the diver when he was recovered from the water. They did a heroic job and tried their best to bring the diver back but to no avail. It was a shame. My condolences to the family and friends of the diver.

Some articles use the term "under the ice". Was this an ice dive (i.e. overhead)?

I realize that media reports are generally full of inaccuracies, but someone in the area must know if the quarry is currently completely covered with ice.

---------- Post added March 25th, 2014 at 01:56 PM ----------

Just a comment about my "Like" Dan... Your information was helpful in clarifying what was going on...

Sorry for not being more clear! :)

I always find it to be a bit of a paradox to like a comment for being very informative about a terrible subject. I don't like these incidents happening, but I do like learning from them.

The three divers were not part of a course. They were diving independently. It just so happened there was an ice diving course going on at the same time. The students for the course hadn't even got in the water by the time the accident happened. Quite an intro to ice diving. It turned out they were firefighters and they were the ones doing the CPR on the diver when he was recovered from the water. They did a heroic job and tried their best to bring the diver back but to no avail. It was a shame. My condolences to the family and friends of the diver.

I wonder who cut the hole that was their entry point?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom