Diver death at Morrison's Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, it's a bit what I was thinking/wondering. Good etiquette would be to fill the hole (with the chunks you just cut out I guess?), but even that doesn't garanty that the hole will freeze over before the next person comes along. The hole freezing over is totally not in our control.

Thank you for your answer.
it actually is you put as much of the ice back in you can (sometimes not possible ) then mark the hole somehow too about 2 feet high yellow tape is best ...especially if snowmobilers are going to use the area ....all covered in a properly run course ....steve

I haven't been to Morrison's since last March ice dive. But I can say that it is not uncommon that the holes wouldn't freeze back up. Just because people would continuously cut in the same area, it never gets a chance to be much more then push the ice chunk out the way. In fact last year when we went to do it had a hard time finding a decent area to cut that was solid enough around to support our big group. AT the shallow entrance guys would just walk in and break it as they walked until deep enough to go under

As sad and horrible this is, I sure hope it doesn't come down on Mrs. Morrison. You would never find a sweeter old lady that takes care of every diver that comes to enjoy her property.

Mrs. Morrison is a wonderful person and the Quarry is a great place to dive (year-round). The Quarry gets so much use in the winter months that even filling the hole back in wouldn't guaranty a freeze-over. The place is like a revolving door.

The circumstances are tragic, but if the facts are true, blaming the Quarry and the ice is like blaming the earth after jumping out of a plane without a parachute. Ice diving requires special training and special equipment. No amount of yellow tape around the hole can change that.

Please people filling the hole has nothing to do with the accident. Hate to saw it but all diving protocol were broken... no continuous line to the surface if using cave diving rules and ice diving rule no tender, no rope and no safety divers. Period that's it stop analysing you two dives a year divers are starting to piss me off....

Please people filling the hole has nothing to do with the accident. Hate to saw it but all diving protocol were broken... no continuous line to the surface if using cave diving rules and ice diving rule no tender, no rope and no safety divers. Period that's it stop analysing you two dives a year divers are starting to piss me off....

having a discussion like this does serve a purpose. A new diver may get talked into an ill-advised ice dive with something like "we'll just drop in, swim around near the hole and come back up. It's no big deal...trust me". However, if they are surfing around on the internet and find that people have died doing such a thing, they may decide against doing the dive.

Then stay away from the thread. Most here are not two dives a year divers. No matter what some instructors and shops may try to.bull.shiite people into believing. This forum is for discussion, speculation, and monday morning quarterbacking.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

already covered this posts back ... and im FAR from a 2 dive a year diver ...........................am i still pissing you off ?

I should hope so, otherwise you would be more than 2500 years old :)
its not the age but the mileage !!!!!!

I always find it to be a bit of a paradox to like a comment for being very informative about a terrible subject. I don't like these incidents happening, but I do like learning from them.

Precisely what I was thinking...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom