Diver death at Morrison's Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There were two holes. One was over the plane which the ice diving course was using and that they recovered the body from. The second hole was in the shallow bay area. This was where the three divers started from and two returned to.

Yes, this was an ice dive. The quarry was completely iced over. There were only two entry/exit holes, one over the plane and one in the shallow area.

The instructor was with a different group. The three divers were completely independent from the dive course. There is another thread on the same topic. I posted some more details there. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479131

i know the instructor in question , i talked to him personally , i was told the whole story .he was NOT repeat NOT part of the the deceased divers group .he did nothing wrong here ,and did everything right as far as im concerned ( yes this is an expert wittiness's opinion )

In this whole sad incident, it is even more sad that the victim was within 30 feet of possibly making it out.

Thank you to the witnesses who have contacted me about the incident. I asked for information for the Ontario Underwater Council in case the victim was from Ontario, but since he was from Quebec, that is a matter for the FQAS. Our condolences to his family and friends.

Kudos to the instructor who happened to be at the same site and the other professionals who attempted to revive him. He had the best fighting chance!

Yes, this was an ice dive. The quarry was completely iced over. There were only two entry/exit holes, one over the plane and one in the shallow area.

The instructor was with a different group. The three divers were completely independent from the dive course. There is another thread on the same topic. I posted some more details there. Diver death at Morrison's Quarry

So based on this information, they were not part of the course, and the instructor/course had cut a hole near the plane that they did not use....who cut the hole near the beach? Did the unfortunate threesome cut their own hole, or did someone leave a hole open from a previous dive event for them to get "curious" about?

Ok, I'm a rank newbie with 25 dives and no ice dives (or other overhead/hazardous/technical dives) to his name, so I'm most likely missing the point.

But, what is the interest in regards as to who cut the hole used by the unfortunate trio? Somehow, I don't think they drove by (that part of the quarry isn't exactly visible from the road), saw the hole and rushed home to get their gear. They most likely showed up intending to ice dive, and probably ready to cut a hole. No?

Again, I have no experience in this, I'm not judging the comments and I'm just looking for an opportunity to learn something.

Thank you.

Ok, I'm a rank newbie with 25 dives and no ice dives (or other overhead/hazardous/technical dives) to his name, so I'm most likely missing the point.

But, what is the interest in regards as to who cut the hole used by the unfortunate trio? Somehow, I don't think they drove by (that part of the quarry isn't exactly visible from the road), saw the hole and rushed home to get their gear. They most likely showed up intending to ice dive, and probably ready to cut a hole. No?

Again, I have no experience in this, I'm not judging the comments and I'm just looking for an opportunity to learn something.

Thank you.

Agreed.

Who cut what hole is of no consequence and has no bearing on the tragic outcome.

So based on this information, they were not part of the course, and the instructor/course had cut a hole near the plane that they did not use....who cut the hole near the beach? Did the unfortunate threesome cut their own hole, or did someone leave a hole open from a previous dive event for them to get "curious" about?

The hole was already there as there was two other divers in under the ice when the group of three went in. I presume the group of two opened the hole but not sure. The two divers were unrelated to the group of three. They came out of the water shortly after the three went in.

I am pretty certain the group of three were planning the ice dive and were not "curious" about the hole. I noticed a chain saw in the back of the truck of one of the divers.

---------- Post added March 26th, 2014 at 07:57 PM ----------

Thank you.

I think the point is that you are suppose to fill the hole back in afterwards and mark the hole area somehow so that some unsuspecting walker, skier, snowmobiler etc does not go through the hole afterwards. This practise is not always followed at the quarry as it is not readily open to the public and divers tend to reopen the same hole. I suppose an open hole might be a temptation to an untrained/unqualified diver but in this case, these divers were prepared to open their own hole as they had a chain saw in the back of their truck.

I haven't been to Morrison's since last March ice dive. But I can say that it is not uncommon that the holes wouldn't freeze back up. Just because people would continuously cut in the same area, it never gets a chance to be much more then push the ice chunk out the way. In fact last year when we went to do it had a hard time finding a decent area to cut that was solid enough around to support our big group. AT the shallow entrance guys would just walk in and break it as they walked until deep enough to go under

As sad and horrible this is, I sure hope it doesn't come down on Mrs. Morrison. You would never find a sweeter old lady that takes care of every diver that comes to enjoy her property.

I think the point is that you are suppose to fill the hole back in afterwards and mark the hole area somehow so that some unsuspecting walker, skier, snowmobiler etc does not go through the hole afterwards. This practise is not always followed at the quarry as it is not readily open to the public and divers tend to reopen the same hole. I suppose an open hole might be a temptation to an untrained/unqualified diver but in this case, these divers were prepared to open their own hole as they had a chain saw in the back of their truck.

Ok, it's a bit what I was thinking/wondering. Good etiquette would be to fill the hole (with the chunks you just cut out I guess?), but even that doesn't garanty that the hole will freeze over before the next person comes along. The hole freezing over is totally not in our control.

Thank you for your answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom