Diver dead in flooded magnesite mine in Poland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"The tragic consequences of a diving accident took place on December 14, 2019 at the former magnesite mine in Sobótka. A 46-year-old woman died.

Contrary to claims made by some media, it was not training diving. A group of four divers had full cave qualifications. It is known that the victim completed a cave course in TDI in Molnar Janos more than a year earlier, exactly in October 2018 ). The other three people have already dived in this mine.

In addition, there were two people on the surface who secured the dives and were necessary for logistical reasons (electric winch and rope lifeline), mainly for transporting the equipment to a platform located 2 meters above the water surface (about 40 meters underground) and to leave divers to the dry part (chamber located about 5 meters above the water surface). One of the safety people was on the surface (upstairs), while the other was on the platform underground (in the place where the team was preparing for diving). Efficient communication between persons on the surface was also ensured, it was done using walkie-talkies.

The divers planned to do two dives that day with a total time of up to 60 minutes each. The first dive was planned for the deepest, accessible levels of the mine located at depths of 36 and 25 meters. The second dive was planned at the shallowest level - at a depth of 5-6 meters (depending on the water level). Divers planned to use one side cylinder (aluminum 11.1 l) with air, the other two were to serve as backup (conservative, safe gas consumption planning, analogous to the GUE approach). Additionally, oxygen was deposited at a depth of 6 meters.

The first unlucky dive started around 10:30. Due to problems with the assembly system of dry gloves (leakage) one of the divers gave up the immersion. Let me just remind you that the temperature of the water in the mine is 11 ° C. Therefore, diving took place in a team of three, on an open circuit. The woman dived in a dry suit, with three cylinders (two steel 12l and one aluminum 11.1l) filled with air (air) mounted in the side configuration - sidemount (SM).

There are many indications that the team performed the dive as planned, in 15 minutes the group left the maximum depth of 36 meters and went to the level of 25 meters. From there, divers ascended to the safety stop at 5 meters, where they spent about a minute (no-decompression dive).

After about 30 minutes, the bubbles of the returning divers were heard and the hissing characteristic of a dive automaton. First, two people appeared on the surface, after a while a third joined (I will add that the ascent in the shaft of the Maria Concordia mine is possible only one behind / below the other). The woman after ascending was aware, responded to questions, nodded that something was wrong. Unfortunately, after a while she lost consciousness and lay on the surface on her back.

An emergency action was taken immediately, emergency services were notified (notification about 11:30). The divers accompanying the victim dismantled her from the equipment (cylinders, harness) while still in the water. A woman was immediately brought out on the platform (2 meters above the water level). Cardiopulmonary resuscitation was undertaken and continued until the arrival of emergency services.

The fastest fire station arrived about 15 minutes after being notified. Firefighters after descending to the platform (about 40 meters underground) took over CPR. Then the 46-year-old was transported to the surface. A woman in a very severe condition (in hypothermia, without restored cardiopulmonary function) was transported by ambulance to the University Clinical Hospital in Wroclaw.

In addition to the police, an emergency helicopter (LPR) also appeared at the scene. According to information from the LPR spokesperson, Łukasz Chalupek, the helicopter was ordered at 11.51 to a woman with cardiac arrest due to a rapid emergence from the water. Ultimately, the helicopter was not used to transport the injured diver.

It is also known that one of the cylinders - aluminum 11.1l was empty (it was in accordance with the diving plan), in the other two 12l bottles there were 170 and 200 bar.

An autopsy was performed, but its results will not be known until a few months.

We extend our sincerest condolences to the family, friends and acquaintances of the deceased woman.

Maria Concordia is a place well known to fans of diving under the ceiling. Located in Lower Silesia, in the town of Sobótka, the former magnesite mine is next to the uranium mine Podgórze in Kowarya real gem on the diving map of Poland. This place is perfectly prepared for divers. The tent placed on the surface not only protects against weather conditions, but also hides the entrance to another underground world. Logistics, in particular transport of equipment and divers to a depth of 40 meters is facilitated by the mounted electric winch (additional lifeline). Each dive team is secured by at least 2 people on the surface (connected top and bottom). This solution is necessary not only for logistical reasons, but also helpful in an emergency situation, especially during a rescue operation."

Wypadek nurkowy w kopalni magnezytu w Sobótce - Nurkowanie Jolly Diver

"The tragic consequences of a diving accident took place on December 14, 2019 at the former magnesite mine in Sobótka. A 46-year-old woman died.

Contrary to claims made by some media, it was not training diving. A group of four divers had full cave qualifications. It is known that the victim completed a cave course in TDI in Molnar Janos more than a year earlier, exactly in October 2018 ). The other three people have already dived in this mine.

In addition, there were two people on the surface who secured the dives and were necessary for logistical reasons (electric winch and rope lifeline), mainly for transporting the equipment to a platform located 2 meters above the water surface (about 40 meters underground) and to leave divers to the dry part (chamber located about 5 meters above the water surface). One of the safety people was on the surface (upstairs), while the other was on the platform underground (in the place where the team was preparing for diving). Efficient communication between persons on the surface was also ensured, it was done using walkie-talkies.

The divers planned to do two dives that day with a total time of up to 60 minutes each. The first dive was planned for the deepest, accessible levels of the mine located at depths of 36 and 25 meters. The second dive was planned at the shallowest level - at a depth of 5-6 meters (depending on the water level). Divers planned to use one side cylinder (aluminum 11.1 l) with air, the other two were to serve as backup (conservative, safe gas consumption planning, analogous to the GUE approach). Additionally, oxygen was deposited at a depth of 6 meters.

The first unlucky dive started around 10:30. Due to problems with the assembly system of dry gloves (leakage) one of the divers gave up the immersion. Let me just remind you that the temperature of the water in the mine is 11 ° C. Therefore, diving took place in a team of three, on an open circuit. The woman dived in a dry suit, with three cylinders (two steel 12l and one aluminum 11.1l) filled with air (air) mounted in the side configuration - sidemount (SM).

There are many indications that the team performed the dive as planned, in 15 minutes the group left the maximum depth of 36 meters and went to the level of 25 meters. From there, divers ascended to the safety stop at 5 meters, where they spent about a minute (no-decompression dive).

After about 30 minutes, the bubbles of the returning divers were heard and the hissing characteristic of a dive automaton. First, two people appeared on the surface, after a while a third joined (I will add that the ascent in the shaft of the Maria Concordia mine is possible only one behind / below the other). The woman after ascending was aware, responded to questions, nodded that something was wrong. Unfortunately, after a while she lost consciousness and lay on the surface on her back.

An emergency action was taken immediately, emergency services were notified (notification about 11:30). The divers accompanying the victim dismantled her from the equipment (cylinders, harness) while still in the water. A woman was immediately brought out on the platform (2 meters above the water level). Cardiopulmonary resuscitation was undertaken and continued until the arrival of emergency services.

The fastest fire station arrived about 15 minutes after being notified. Firefighters after descending to the platform (about 40 meters underground) took over CPR. Then the 46-year-old was transported to the surface. A woman in a very severe condition (in hypothermia, without restored cardiopulmonary function) was transported by ambulance to the University Clinical Hospital in Wroclaw.

In addition to the police, an emergency helicopter (LPR) also appeared at the scene. According to information from the LPR spokesperson, Łukasz Chalupek, the helicopter was ordered at 11.51 to a woman with cardiac arrest due to a rapid emergence from the water. Ultimately, the helicopter was not used to transport the injured diver.

It is also known that one of the cylinders - aluminum 11.1l was empty (it was in accordance with the diving plan), in the other two 12l bottles there were 170 and 200 bar.

An autopsy was performed, but its results will not be known until a few months.

We extend our sincerest condolences to the family, friends and acquaintances of the deceased woman.

Maria Concordia is a place well known to fans of diving under the ceiling. Located in Lower Silesia, in the town of Sobótka, the former magnesite mine is next to the uranium mine Podgórze in Kowarya real gem on the diving map of Poland. This place is perfectly prepared for divers. The tent placed on the surface not only protects against weather conditions, but also hides the entrance to another underground world. Logistics, in particular transport of equipment and divers to a depth of 40 meters is facilitated by the mounted electric winch (additional lifeline). Each dive team is secured by at least 2 people on the surface (connected top and bottom). This solution is necessary not only for logistical reasons, but also helpful in an emergency situation, especially during a rescue operation."

Wypadek nurkowy w kopalni magnezytu w Sobótce - Nurkowanie Jolly Diver

Thank you for this information and especially the translation.

Was Dan Wright his dive buddy?

Question: since it was 40 meters to the water surface does this have to be taken into account when planning dives? I remember reading about bridge workers at the turn of the century getting bends working at depth but not in the water.

Question: since it was 40 meters to the water surface does this have to be taken into account when planning dives? I remember reading about bridge workers at the turn of the century getting bends working at depth but not in the water.
No, the 40 meters wouldn't change barometric pressure much at all. Those tunnel workers were working in pressurized conditions to keep the water above from finding a way in. CDC - Decompression Sickness and Tunnel Workers - NIOSH Workplace Safety and Health Topic

Historical: CLYDE TUNNEL WORKERS (CAISSON DISEASE) (Hansard, 29 July 1965)

This one is about bridge workers: Caisson disease during the construction of the Eads and Brooklyn Bridges: A review. - PubMed - NCBI

This is my personal depth record of 280-ish feet (the walkway is above ground a bit): Badwater Basin - Wikipedia -- no deco, no bends. ;-)

This link has a picture of a caisson: Caisson (engineering) - Wikipedia

The important part is that the caisson is pressurised: if it was opened at the top the caisson wouldn’t be pressured and water would enter from the bottom.

It is due to this pressure that gas is ‘forced’ into your body.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom