Mine diver lost - Montola mine, Finland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver feared dead in Montola mine, Finland
Dykare befaras omkommen i Montola gruva, Finland
Google translation...
Diver disappeared after diving in Finnish mine

On Tuesday, Finnish media reported a death in the Finnish mine Montola. According to information, two experienced miners must have carried out a dive, but during the dive some type of problem must have arisen and only one person returned to the surface.
A search operation is currently underway to try to find the missing diver who is believed to be dead. The Montola mine has previously cost divers their lives, in 2008 and 2013.

They do seem to make the most extreme overhead dives. Might be a vast difference in what is perceived as an acceptable risk.

It appears that divers from Finland are prone to dive accidents in caves and mines more than others in Europe.

Any figures to bear that statement out?

Any figures to bear that statement out?

In addition to the incidents mentioned in the news article above, there has been at least two other incidents I heard about in the last 2 years. It just seems odd that we hear more about divers from Finland dying in dive accidents more frequently than divers from other parts of Europe considering that Finland has a much smaller population than other countries with larger populations and more diving opportunities.

In addition to the incidents mentioned in the news article above, there has been at least two other incidents I heard about in the last 2 years.

Thats right, at least two others, if not three and one diver was invloved in at least two of those. Two divers died on one dive (the one Centrals refers to above) and one one another, IIRC, in France.

However, it must be stated that they were rather (very?) 'ambitious' dives. Doable, but, ambitious.

Finn Diver can no doubt say if there was three other incidences or just these two (plus the one this thread is about).

Thats right, at least two others, if not three and one diver was invloved in at least two of those. Two divers died on one dive (the one Centrals refers to above) and one one another, IIRC, in France.

However, it must be stated that they were rather (very?) 'ambitious' dives. Doable, but, ambitious.

Finn Diver can no doubt say if there was three other incidences or just these two (plus the one this thread is about).

There are two additional Finn divers' deaths mentioned in the article in the OP besides the one that took place recently.

Something is not right here. Perhaps Finns are more aggressive, careless or cavalier in their attitude towards diving and risk taking?

There are two additional Finn divers' deaths mentioned in the article in the OP besides the one that took place recently.

Something is not right here. Perhaps Finns are more aggressive, careless or cavalier in their attitude towards diving and risk taking?

As per my last post, at least in Norway, Finnish do dives no other drivers do.

I've been told ot may have to do with initial experience, aparantly a lot of divers in Finland begin their diving experience in caves and mines, as that's what's available locally. I'd argue that gives both a different risk, as well as risk understanding for more demanding cave dives.

Do note I'm only SSI cave diver - so a newbie posting

Back
Top Bottom